1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi, Routers, Laptops,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ront2, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ront2

ront2 Thread Starter

Am a newbie with wi-fi, routers, and laptops. The cable from the wall that I use now...will....after I purchase a router... go firstly to the Cox Cable modem (provided by my local cable company..Cox)...then from there... a cable will connect to a router.... then from the router a signal (wireless) goes to a laptop (ready to go with wireless). The laptop may now receive the internet.... Now, with my trusty new desktop.... is there still a cable from the same modem to my destop computer that enables me to receiver the internet?.. What I am trying to find out is if two computers in the same house ( one a laptop...Toshiba), ...the other my desktop, can receive the internet at the same time?

The second part of the question....and thanks for bearing with me.... if I make my desktop computer.. wi fi ... with a card (PCI) or USB adapter..... can both in house computers use the internet at the same time? And can both be cabled (non-wireless) at the same time for same time internet?
    Thanks, Ron

2. Hughv

Hughv

Yes. That's what routers do.
    Your router will come with a setup program that should make this easy, but let us know if you have problems.

"What I am trying to find out is if two computers in the same house ( one a laptop...Toshiba), ...the other my desktop, can receive the internet at the same time?"

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi ront2

The answer to most of your questions is, Yes.

An ethernet cable will run from the Router, not the modem, to your Desktop and there should be several ports on the back of the router to run an additional ethernet cable to the laptop. Yes, you can access the internet from both computers at the same time, wireless or cabled, or a combination.

If you install a wireless adapter on the Desktop, the Desktop should then be able to view the wireless networks available.
    Though, using the ethernet cable connection on the Desktop should be faster than using the wireless adapter.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923874