1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi Speed Drops 54mbp tp 5.5Mbp - Realtek8187L

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Europe, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

Hi All,

Need some help here - my brother got this Desktop built and I believe it is an Asus motherboard build judging by the branded name and devices I can see.

It used to use the Asus Wifi-ap Solo driver and I noticed that the device is actually a Realtek one and also noticed that the speed drops from the standard 54mbps down to sometimes 5.5 mbps or even 1mbps and then it ramps up to 18 then 24 and so on.

The router is about 5-6m away in the next room, I don't believe it is anything blocking the signal as I can connect with my laptop in the same room with the 54mbps signal strength.

I read somewhere here that to try to uninstall the Asus driver (lots of complaints on the net forums) and re-install the Realtek driver, but it still has not worked.

Any other suggestions? I turned off window auto-updates about 3 weeks ago as I had another problem which was resolved.

Could it be something on windows causing this disruption?

Cheers all ...

2. schang626

schang626

update the driver

3. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

I have re-installed the realtek driver which I just downloaded from the web ... anything else I can look at?

4. schang626

schang626

try using a different channel for your network (1, 6 or 11)
    it might be because there's another network in the area using the same channel.
    when they are using internet at night, it interferes with your network.

5. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

ok ... can you tell me how/where I find that? ... OS is XP Home ... sorry a bit noob on this ...

6. schang626

schang626

goto start -> run -> type in CMD -> in the black window type in IPCONFIG/ALL

take note of the default gateway address
    open up a web browser (firefox/ie) and enter the default gateway address in the address bar
    enter the account name and password
    it should be somewhere in the wireless section

7. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion changed to 6 and no improvement, went back in and changed setting to auto on channel width and looks like there is a slight improvement, however the speed changes rapidly but at higher rates.

Will let it go for a couple of days to see if the speed drops drastically, so far a slight improvement, but shouldn;t the speed remain at a constant 54mbps?

8. schang626

schang626

try another channel if it didn't work out.
    you can also update the firmware on the router

9. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

I've tried a couple of channels over the past week and a half and no change, I have connected to the wireless with laptops around the house and have no problems with the drop in signal.

Could the firmware upgrade still work? as other devices have no issue except for the desktop's connection, oculd it be the wireless card itself?

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

11. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply - I can't seem to get access/priviledge to attach the screenshot, is there an email address I can email it to you?

12. JohnWill

What problem do you have posting the screen shot, it requires no special rights here.

13. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

Hi JohnWill,

Sincere apologies for the delayed reply - I am having trouble attaching anything to this site unfortunately, and thoguht it might be a priveledge thing.

Either way the site isn't allowing me to attach a file, everytime I hit upload it brings me back to a login page showing a few reasons, one of them being that I'm not logged in which is weird as I am and also somethign about priveledge.

14. JohnWill

Remove all your cookies and login to the site again.

15. Europe

Europe Thread Starter

That worked!!! ... sorry again for the extreme delay in responding - been work-travelling ... the file is attached.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice