1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wifi speed loss

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nepsa, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nepsa

Nepsa Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    I originally thought my continuous internet speed was due to Comcast Internet service. It all began when Microsoft updated Windows 64 to Version1083 in April. I have to reset my Killer E2400 Network Adapter on my Gigabit GA-Z170MX Motherboard about every two days to get my 60-70 MBps speed when the speed drops to 3 to 15 MBPS. Killer admits there are problems since this update and provided several changes to make. I have updated their Control Panel, Drivers and changed the power settings to MAX and never cut power to adapter in Windows settings. After I do a reset, it works perfect, but max 48 hours.

I do have a spare Expansion Slot 1x PCI Express x 16 running at x4 (PCIEX4) I want to install an network card in that slot, however I am not sure what cards are compatible with that slot. I do want a Gigabit (1000 mbps) speed type.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 32722 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: B: 931 GB (436 GB Free); C: 464 GB (309 GB Free); E: 2794 GB (1396 GB Free); F: 298 GB (89 GB Free); G: 2794 GB (1315 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z170MX-Gaming 5
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. Nepsa

Nepsa Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    No, I had not updated Motherboard Driver. I have done so, Reset the adapter. I will see if it holds and get back with the results. Thanks for the information.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. Good luck !

5. Nepsa

Nepsa Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    managed, I thought maybe that was a fix, however it lasted for about 3 hours. went from a 63mbps to 14. This has been nagging me for months. I would like to find an adapter to fit that expansion slot while I work on a solution to the Killer adapter.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's a shame.

I think you can fit any PCI-E Network card into that slot.

7. Nepsa

Nepsa Thread Starter

First Name:
    David

Will not need a PCI-E network card. The updated Motherboard DRIVER for the Windows 10 version 1083 did correct my issue. After my last post, I rebooted my PC and Modem again and I have been getting between 60 and 75 mbps for almost a week now. I went back and checked all the updates that Gigibyte Motherboard had sent me since the Windows 1083 update and there was none addressing the slow wifi issue. I get a notification monthly from them. You would think a notice on this would be critical. Thanks again for your support. I am going to mark this one solved.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's great news, thanks for letting me know. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice