1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dmimi, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmimi

dmimi Thread Starter

Hi, I was at the airport other day,waiting for my flight, and i used a WiFi hotspot to access to my blog. I noticed that although the hotspot claimed to run at maximun data rate of 54 Mbps the throughput I achieved was a lot less. can you explain to me why that might be?

can you explain the term 802.11 standard to me ??

thank you.

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The reason is simple. The 54mbits is the raw bit rate between your computer and the WAP, however the ability to actually access Internet content is based on their ISP throughput and the number of users. Typically, it'll be MUCH less than 54mbits, probably a very small fraction of that speed.

4. dmimi

dmimi Thread Starter

I need more explanation about WiFi speed.

thank you

5. badness

badness

The wifi is the wireless connection your computer made to modem/router in the airport. This tends to be a pretty fast connection, hence the claim of 54 megabits/second. This is not the actual internet though. The modem/router takes all those connected to it's Wifi network(ie you) and then connects to the outside world(ie the internet). The connection to the internet tends to be much slower, anywhere from 1 - 10 megabits/second. Hope that answers your question.
    badness

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/861560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice