1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi speeds are fine until I Connect my Pc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ImADuckQuackk, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImADuckQuackk

ImADuckQuackk Thread Starter

I run off roughly 1-2mbps, however when I connect up my PC via Ethernet cable, speeds suddenly drop to 0.01-0.1 Mbps and 400+ ping across all devices.

I feel like I have tried everything so anyone able to solve this would forever be my hero!

Thanks in advance

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

Hi ImADuckQuackk, and welcome to TSG.

Based on the very limited amount of information that you gave us, I would guess that your PC may be generating quite a bit of Internet traffic. That could be one reason for the speed drop for the other devices. Some causes of all that traffic could be the automatic downloading of Windows updates or a virus on your PC.

If you know you tried every known possible solution to the problem, then there is a good chance no one here could help you. If you think you may have missed something, please let us know exactly what you have already tried.

It would probably also help if you gave us the details of your network hardware and how everything is interconnected.

3. ImADuckQuackk

ImADuckQuackk Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Me trying everything I know probably isn't close to the knowledge you guys hold.

I have completed anti virus and malware checks. Monitored the network usage (hardly anything shows up). Turned off all windows automatic updates. Deleted 50% of the programs on the PC. Changed the Ethernet cable, changed the router, connected another device using Ethernet.

Currently I am in safe mode and everything is smooth, no issues with the speeds etc.

Thanks again :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194530