WiFi turned off, no available connections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rebelred

Refurbished hp laptop. WiFi switch is on but still says wifi turned off. Shows no available connections. My internet service is working fine on all other devices. Tried 'adapter settings', 'enable', ' discovery', etc.

TerryNet

Terry
WiFi switch is on but still says wifi turned off.
What "WiFi switch" is on? Depending on your laptop there is a more-or-less physical switch that is a toggle or slide switch, a barely noticeably touch "button" or a function key (F12). That one must be on. And then, depending on your operating system, there are various software "switches" such as Airplane Mode on/off, ability to disable the wireless connection or to disable the wireless adapter in Device Manger (Windows) or in the BIOS (or UEFI). Have you checked all of those?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What "WiFi switch" is on? Depending on your laptop there is a more-or-less physical switch that is a toggle or slide switch, a barely noticeably touch "button" or a function key (F12). That one must be on. And then, depending on your operating system, there are various software "switches" such as Airplane Mode on/off, ability to disable the wireless connection or to disable the wireless adapter in Device Manger (Windows) or in the BIOS (or UEFI). Have you checked all of those?
On HP laptops, it's typically the Function number button with a light (white or amber).

@rebelred - please use our TSG System Information Tool to provide information about your computer so we can assist further. Also if you right click on the wireless icon and choose Troubleshooting, does it tell you anything other than you are not connected to a network?

rebelred

Found the wifi switch. The smooth bar above the number keys, lighted icon indicators are actually 'buttons'. Covered signal symbol for a couple seconds and it changed fron orange to blue. Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
You're welcome. :) I lost count of the times I did trouble shooting on my non-working wireless connection only to discover that I had turned it off while trying to wipe some dust off. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online