1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi w/PSP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RioT88, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RioT88

RioT88 Thread Starter

Hey TG,
    I'm trying to set up my PSP to access the internet using my Gateway Laptop w/internal 802.11g card. My set up at home is just the Laptop and its only used for my wife/kids and I to surf the net. So, I'm in no need of an extensive wireless set up. With that in mind I've done some very brief research and found that the WiFi Max might be the right solution. But, is it a true plug and play with my laptop using dial up at the crib. Please let me know, thanks.:)

2. onsite

onsite

WHOA Dial up and wireless , huh ?
    iS PSP playstation something or other ?
    what exactly are you trying to accomplish ?
    no slang, you dig ?

3. RioT88

RioT88 Thread Starter

Yeah.... It's AOL dial up from the house and Yes, its a playstation portable(PSP). I'm attempting to use some type of access point/wireless devise that will allow me to piggyback my PSP at home when I'm dialed up w/my laptop, but not sure if it will work. That is why I mentioned the Daltex "WiFi Max". Keep in mind I'm pretty clear that if I have a cable modem/broadband, etc. and a wired/wireless router its a no brainer. But, since I have no need for all of that at this time I'm looking for a simpler solution exclusively for the PSP while I'm online. Can you help?

4. onsite

onsite

The only way ( there may be others) I could think you coud use dial up and wireless would be to :
    1. use a modem in one PC to dial into your ISP
    2. set your wireless devices to ADHOC mode, probably would not need a router.
    3. use internet connection sharing to share yor internet ( assuming ALL ARE XP)
    4. The downside is using ICS every pc that uses your dial up connection will cut the bandwidth in half.

If you scroll down to " connectivity " It is kind of confusing, maybe you could tell me, does your PSP have built in WI FI ? I f you read down it looks like you have usb port. So either I would assume you can use. You could use a usb WI FI card.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007TFLLC/104-4378949-7023164?v=glance&n=468642

5. RioT88

RioT88 Thread Starter

Yes, the PSP comes with an 802.11b card integrated. Another quick questions if I may. Can you tell me if you or any of the other guys know how reliable some of the many media manager softwares available for this application are? I've been surfing and ebay has tons of stuff. e.g. Sony has the media manager, but I can't tell if it allows you to convert your dvd's to mpeg,wvm, etc. What I did notice was several other independent venders listing cd's w/preloaded media software. From what I can tell it looks cool and seems to do what I'm looking for, but are there risks using their software on my unit? Please let me know if anyone from TG has run into this, thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice