1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIFI WAN to WIFI LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dprovost, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dprovost

dprovost Thread Starter

I have a home where the only ISP available is a wifi provider. I have up to 5 computers in the home, some wireless, some not. What I'd like to do is set up devices so that I can do the following:

1) Connect to the wifi wan as a single connection, and
    2) connect that device to a local wireless router with my pc's conneced to that wirelessly and wired.

I only want the ISP to see one connection, since they charge per link. I havent found a device that will let me have DHCP on the wan side, and a static IP on the ethernet side. (the idea is that I use static addresses between the devices

In the past I've connected to this network with my laptop and a wireless card. I've connected an airport express in wifi router mode to the ethernet port and turned ICS on the PC. This works great and everyone can connect. I want to recreate this setup, but without tying up a pc. Any help/recommendations are appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Gosh, any broadband router I've ever worked with will allow you to have static or dynamic addresses on either side of the router. If you have an Ethernet connection to the ISP's receiver that is a DHCP server, $20 or so will fix you up.

3. stellir

stellir

Can't you connect to the ISP with a wireless router and then use another wireless router connected to the first to supply your own network ip addresses.

4. dprovost

dprovost Thread Starter

the big problem I'm having is finding a device that can connect to the wifi hotspot as a CLIENT. most of the wifi routers create an access point, they dont connect to an existing service. Agreed, even the most basic wifi router can be setup wifi DHCP/ static ip ethernet, but that doesnt allow me to connect to the hotspot.

The closest I've come across is the D-link DWL-2100AP, but I'm told when it acts in wifi client mode, they only guarantee that it can connect to another of the same device, its not meant to connect to other AP's.

5. stellir

stellir

Have you tried calling the free support lines to the manufactures of a few different routers. May save some time.

6. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Do you have a box from the ISP with an ethernet cable? Like reciever? You should be able to connect a router to the reciver and share the connection.

7. dprovost

dprovost Thread Starter

yeah, I've called DLink, Netgear, Belkin, Linksys and none offer a product. (DLink is the closest with the DWL-2100AP which can act as a wifi client, but is only intended to connect in that mode to another DWL-2100AP. I'm told it may or may not connect to a public hotspot)

The ISP does not provide any equipment at all that would do this for me.

8. dprovost

dprovost Thread Starter

ok, think I finally found what I need. The Linksys WET54GS5 bridge appears to do the trick. I can have DHCP on the wifi side and static on the ethernet port and the device does the mapping between the addresses (according to Linksys presales support). I will update when I receive and try it.

9. Jeckler

Jeckler

I was going to suggest a bridge myself. Should do exactly what you need.

10. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

All a client is, is an external wireless adpater, you can connected to another access point and it will pass through to another AP. As far as using a bridge it has a DHCP server, but no way to connect the two networks! it is a wireless bridge. Diffrent form a regular bridge. So your house is just in a hotspot? you have no hardware from the ISP.

11. dprovost

dprovost Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you're saying in your note

12. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

There is no hardware at all from your ISP? nothing in your house from the provider? Do you connect with a wireless card issued from the ISP? or do you have a reciver mounted somewhere with an ethernet cable running from it into the house?

13. dprovost

dprovost Thread Starter

no hardware from ISP. They have a plan with dedicated hardware which is $500 installation, and a higher monthly fee because you're leasing their equipment.

14. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

So you connect to there signal with a wireless adpater? how do you athenticate? with there software?

15. dprovost

dprovost Thread Starter

I log in via their web page, and as long as I keep my connection active, I am connected for up to 24 hrs.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372333