1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi with no router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pehbond, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pehbond

pehbond Thread Starter

can i connnect 2 computer (1pc and 1 laptop) wirelessly without a router. if so what do i need and slo do any of you guys know of any good wifi tools about that are free. thanks

2. gurutech

gurutech

You need to set them up in "Ad-Hoc" mode. It can be done as long as both computers use the same channel. 6 is default, but you can use anything from 1-11. If you have 2.4ghz cordless phones, you will have to experiment to find which channel interferes the least.

Alternatively, you can check out Tigerdirect or Newegg, and get a wireless router for less than $50.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a good wifi tool

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

4. pehbond

pehbond Thread Starter

can i set up a broadband connection wirlessly without a main pc so it should go like this.

adsl line connects to the modem in the wifi router then use a laptop to wirlessly connect to the router. the trouble is that most internet broadband suppliers install the modem that comes with the service. how can i get past this and allow them to use the internet service without using the modem provided. this is a tough one as when you install the service on a pc it requires a phisical connection.

thanks for any help

here is a little diagram what i want

------------(telephone line)---[==wifi router with an internal modem==]

{wirless laptop}

5. rbrager

rbrager

Usually the ISP will rent you a modem, unless you can provide one that is compatible with the service. I don't think I have ever seen one that provides wireless. These days wireless routers are relatively cheap. I paid $20 for mine. Just monitor places like tigerdirect.com an They will eventually get a bargain. If your impatient the D-LINK DI-524 sells for around $50. Other MFG's also have routers in this price range.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to use a modem your ISP supports. If you want to use a wireless router / modem combo device that you purchase on your own, then talk to your ISP about it. You will need to connect to the device using wired ethernet to configure it.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a number of ISP's in UK will allow you to connect any modem / router to there broadband - They JUST will NOT give any support at all.

AOL
    UKONLINE
    PIPEX
    NTL - now virgin
    BT

are companies I have dealt with regarding unsupported routers, you just get NO support unless you have thier kit added

In UK you can get wireless modem/routers supplied by ISP - most have a package or will sell you there supported device.

you only do this to install the modem drivers onto the PC

if you connect a router - then you connect via a LAN to configure the router but after that no need to connect physically and any new wireless laptop will just connect to router - no need for a physical connection
    some companies record the MAC address - NTL do and allow upto 5 devices to connect

8. BlackGarden

BlackGarden

The main point to remember here is that as long as you have all the settings for your ISP written down somewhere you can use any modem and router you like, including a combined one. However, if something goes wrong with your internet connection and you're not using the modem the ISP provided, they will tell you it's all your fault. So make sure you keep the original modem your ISP gave you, and if something goes wrong you can plug that back up again and check if the actual connection is the problem, or whether something has gone wrong with your wireless equipment. Then, if it is the connection, you can call your ISP and say:
    "Yes, I am using the modem you gave me."
    "Yes it is plugged into the master phone socket."
    "Yes, I have tried using a different ADSL filter."
    "No, there is nothing else plugged into the socket except the modem and this phone."
    "No, I am not using an extension lead."

Then they will run out of troubleshooting questions to ask you that they have on their script and will start to consider that the problem might be at their end, so you can still get support for your connection that way. The only thing they will not help you with is if your wireless router will not work (for whatever reason) but the modem they gave you does.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Some ISPs require the MAC address of the modem to be registered. So if you go out and buy your own, you still need to call them to get it to work. Then you may find out they only support the ones they rent out or certain models. Best to check with them first.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice