1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi WLAN button not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CobyAbalos, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CobyAbalos

CobyAbalos Thread Starter

My WLAN button on my compaq presario cq57 is not working how can I turn on my wifi from my computer?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

First check the status of your adapter in Device Manager, then if that is OK go to Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center. In the upper left corned, click on Change Adapter Settings, then look at the status of the adapter; right click it and see if the option to Enable is available.

3. CobyAbalos

CobyAbalos Thread Starter

I'm able to do that I disabled and enabled it but it still doesn't turn on it has a x on it

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

Yes well, the truth is that those laptops that have a physical button or switch for the wifi adapter, require it to work properly to turn the device on or off. So either the switch/button has gone bad or the adapter has (less likely). Given the age and low initial cost of that model, your best bet would be to go with an external USB based wifi adapter. Chances are it will work better than the built in unit anyway.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    It sounds like an issue with the adapter if it has a X and cannot enable
    But try this
    Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    goto the device manager > Network Adapters > click on the [+] to show all the adapters

right click on the adapter and from the menu

remove/uninstall the adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

CleaverX likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice