Solved WiFi Yes, Internet No; Will a Backup Fix It?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blrender

how many times have you heard this before?

"i performed a system restore (that failed to work the first time), and now i have no internet connection."
"troubleshooting states that the system is set up fine, but windows can't communicate with the DNS."

BUT... none of the solutions have fixed it.

i have tried restoring to a prior restore point, but that fails. i have tried UNDOing the restore point i used, and THAT fails. i have tried disabling my antivirus, and i have tried running the restore in safe mode.

my last resort is to bomb my system to a backup from last sunday. but i'm wondering... will that even fix it???

DETAILS:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i haven't (yet) tried unplugging the router/modem (it's a time warner 2-in-1), because every other device on the wifi connects to the internet just fine. update: okay, i rest the modem/router. everything reconnected fine, except my computer. ::sigh::

besides the wireless on the modem, we also have a mac airport that is connected to the router/modem. i can connect to either one, i can switch at will... but nothing, of course, makes a difference.

I HAVE TRIED:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

these various solutions, not necessarily in order...

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

restart
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /flushdns

restart
TCP/IP4 is set to obtain IP/obtain DNS automatically.
switch off, switch back on

restart
change TCP/IP4 to use DNS servers
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

restart
change back to obtain DNS automatically

restart again...
uninstall the wireless adapter driver
restart, let it reinstall

just... HOW is a system restore bunging up the dns??? WHY is flushing the dns stuff not fixing it? WHY is using a known DNS not fixing it? (this happened to me before, and I remember doing all this... changing the DNS and then there were the special ipconfig commands that fixed it. sadly, i don't remember the details.)

and, my actual question... will restoring from backup erase this mess, or will i be wasting my time and potentially losing data for nothing?

thanks a tonne, guys! you rock!

Last edited:
how many times have you heard this before?

"i performed a system restore (that failed to work the first time), and now i have no internet connection."
"troubleshooting states that the system is set up fine, but windows can't communicate with the DNS."

BUT... none of the solutions have fixed it.

i have tried restoring to a prior restore point, but that fails. i have tried UNDOing the restore point i used, and THAT fails. i have tried disabling my antivirus, and i have tried running the restore in safe mode.

my last resort is to bomb my system to a backup from last sunday. but i'm wondering... will that even fix it???

DETAILS:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i haven't (yet) tried unplugging the router/modem (it's a time warner 2-in-1), because every other device on the wifi connects to the internet just fine. update: okay, i rest the modem/router. everything reconnected fine, except my computer. ::sigh::

besides the wireless on the modem, we also have a mac airport that is connected to the router/modem. i can connect to either one, i can switch at will... but nothing, of course, makes a difference.

I HAVE TRIED:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

these various solutions, not necessarily in order...

just... HOW is a system restore bunging up the dns??? WHY is flushing the dns stuff not fixing it? WHY is using a known DNS not fixing it? (this happened to me before, and I remember doing all this... changing the DNS and then there were the special ipconfig commands that fixed it. sadly, i don't remember the details.)

and, my actual question... will restoring from backup erase this mess, or will i be wasting my time and potentially losing data for nothing?

thanks a tonne, guys! you rock!
Try using a vpn app before starting it.

TerryNet

Terry
We have to try to determine the cause(s) of the problem before suggesting fix(es).

Does the PC have internet access with an ethernet connection?

Do you have the latest correct wireless driver installed? If so, how do you know?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

blrender

answer #1: no, doing a restore from backup will NOT fix it.
another 5 hours of my life wasted.

Does the PC have internet access with an ethernet connection?
the pc does not have internet access with an ethernet cable.

unless you meant did i plug it into the router/modem with a cord to test it, in which case, i did not. that is not feasible.

Do you have the latest correct wireless driver installed? If so, how do you know?
the one that worked before the system restore and fubar? when i pressed the 'update' button on the driver panel, it said it had the latest, but since it wasn't currently connected to the internet, how would it know? when i pressed 'rollback' it also said there was nothing to roll back to.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?
zone alarm free. avast anti-virus. the zone alarm was uninstalled in order to update it, but the reinstall was screwed along with the snafu that required the system restore. since it's gone, and can't install without an internet connection, i have turned on windows firewall.

ipconfig:
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Edimax 802.11g Wireless PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-1F-4E-69-A1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2604:2000:28ca:d000:89bb:3291:fbd2:f459(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2604:2000:28ca:d000:35b5:91e0:f394:e69e(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::89bb:3291:fbd2:f459%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.7(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:19:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:19:04 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::eaed:5ff:fe54:70c7%18
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 486547231
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-08-07-89-00-01-2E-24-50-8A
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

i have tried two new solutions and found some... weird results.

first: the DNS servers:
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

i switched the ip6 and ip4 protocol settings to use the addresses in the ipconfig, and set the DNSs to the public google ones.
upon reboot, same result: connected to router/modem, no internet. but something strange happened: when i hit 'troubleshoot' and then clicked 'details' of the results, the ! went away, and i had internet connection.

BUT. the dns was still not working to resolve urls. i tested some pings and found that i could ping ip6 addresses, but i could NOT ping urls NOR ip4 addresses. they timed out.

and once i closed the 'details' of the troubleshooting results, the ! came back, and once more i had 'no internet access.'

second: fixing the dns/winsock
https://hrushikeshzadgaonkar.wordpr...figuration-for-ipv4-and-ipv6-address-problem/

slightly different than the commands/order i had been using before... no results.

finally, i set the ip6 and ip4 back to 'automatically acquire'...
and it's still broken.

TerryNet

Terry
unless you meant did i plug it into the router/modem with a cord to test it, in which case, i did not.
Yep, that's what I meant. It's nice to know whether we're dealing with a wireless-only issue or a general networking issue.

In addition to what jenae said, it's strange that there is not an IPv4 DNS server. Check to make sure you are using "obtain DNS auto ...". If you are then maybe there is a strange router problem.

blrender

more updates...

i am convinced it is a problem with that particular computer's windows networking. this laptop, for example, uses the same settings, the same dns, the same router or router/modem.

as i said, obtaining IP addresses and DNSs were already set to automatic. changing them to manual, and/or changing them back, had no effect.

this morning, on THAT machine, i decided to work locally, using my file server connected via etherlink crossover cable. i normally leave that computer off, unless i need something on those drives. when i turn it on, it automatically connects, or if it doesnt... i just open the file explorer and click on the disconnected drives, and they are found.

not today. today, the microsoft windows network cannot find the network path to the file server. diagnosing this problem, it tells me the DNS is working fine, but windows network can't communicate with it.

note: the ethernet crossover has IPv6 turned off, and the IPv4 settings as thus:
* use following address (though those fields are blank)
* use the following DNS server: 192.168.1.1 (which, as i understand it, is the proper dns to use for a local wired connection.)

okay, now i'm looking at the restore point i did manage to restore. items that the restoration removed:
MS Visual C++ stuff
Pale Moon browser update
ZoneAlarm 15.0.653.17211
Check Point Software Technologies Ltd (Net Service) Driver

IF... i can manage to UNDO this restore... perhaps the restoration of the zone alarm and this checkpoint driver will help... i can only hope, since all prior attempts to undo the restore have failed. if not, perhaps i can repair these items.

thank you all, for your help! if this informations suggests any other possible solutions... please let me know!

blrender

OH OH OH OH OH OH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i ran the zone alarm scrubber... i didn't try the restore undo... I HAVE INTERNET! OH! ::hugs the internet!::

kinda wish i knew what files/locations/drivers/registries this thing was removing, so i could look and make sure they're properly gone... but i guess that's a security issue. i do think it is time zone alarm and i parted ways. :/

i'm still having trouble connecting to the file server on the ethernet cable, BUT... that's a different topic, and i will look up how to set the firewall to make that work.

Hi, Anti Virus programs deeply embed themselves into the system, using programs and features to be rid of them often is not sufficient and their left overs can and do cause problems> Go here and use the developers uninstaller. Reset your internet afterwards and test.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5402-zone-alarm-uninstaller.html

jenae -- THANKS A MILLION!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online