1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wiin386.swp -- why 2?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by arty62, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

I have 2 swp files: one at C:\win386.swp, (134,000kb), the other at C:\Windows\win386swp (0kb)....why are there 2 and why is one always at131,0000+kb?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have ever set the Virtual Memory cache limits yourself, that is, taken the checkout of "let windows do it"; then the file on the c: directory is created and used. When Windows does it, then c:\windows\win386.swp is used

3. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin...are they safe to delete? Why do I have 0kb in he file "in use"?.....rt

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Both are safe to delete, but you must do it from DOS. For example:

del c:\windows\win386.swp

del c:\win386.swp

exit

It shouldn't be 0kb if it's in use. Check System Properties > Performance > Virtual Memory. If you don't have a check in "let windows manage", then the c:\windows\win386.swp shouldn't be in use.

By the way, you can run sysmon and configure it to monitor swapfile in use as well as other parameters.

5. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

"Let windows do it" is checked....have sysmon configured to show swap file size (128min, no max) but swap in use 0 there too....

Rog, right now my machine is running better than ever and looking good too...no lockups, no rebootssimply none of past days probs remain....seems that ethernet card had somrthing to do with all....one remaining problem is that on automatic reboot (after changing something) machine hangs up and reset brings safe mode because win interupted...not a biggie but needs some work. But thanks to you there's JOY in Sharon,Pa tonight!!!.....cu later.....rt

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like the amt of ram you are running is handling all your needs and Windows is not using swp.

That's great, rare to see, but evidently you are not loading much software. Some people put a setting in system.ini to force that:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/620/

It's not recommended with lower amts of ram

If you continue to have any shutdown/restart problems it might be helpful to install the Win98SE shutdown supplement. This is often a better solution than the msconfig > disable fast shutdown. (It will remove that option if installed)

7. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Since things are aok I thought that tomorrow we will FLASH THE BIOS!!!!!!.....goodnight....rt

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okedoke, but that's where I bail :)

By the way, it occurs to me that since you have a minimum swapfile set, you must have done that through system.ini if not in System Properties... virtual memory.

I've never used that method, so I don't know if it leaves the check in "let windows manage" or if it change the location of the swapfile. Maybe Whitphil catch a look at your post and answer. He knows the ins and outs of such questions better than anyone.

9. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Good morn Rollin'........How the weather out there north of Hwood? We got another 4" snow last nite...

All still well with machine...some IE problems this morn, but repair seems to have fixed...

Have decieded to not put TV on machine...will buy smalltv for machines room....prob cheaper!!

Those chk files...ok to delete?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I won't describe the weather here out of mercy for you, but let's just say I can't wait to get out in a couple of hours, shorts and t-shirt, to do some jogging and biking :)

Sure those chk files are ok to delete. Great to hear things are holding up.

11. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

You gave someone advice to clean up mscongig/start....did you say HKEY LOCAL MACHINE or ........CURRENT USER??

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Could be either depending on what was in their startups, which one are you referring to?

13. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

BAD COMMAND Eseege I think......to remove unchecked item in startup list, should goto hkey current user......I think!!!!

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No, the unchecked item will be in HKLM ..... RUN- because that's where the entry was in Startups (HKLM)

Had it been in HKCU, then a corresponding RUN- folder would be found there for any unchecked items.

15. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Just checked...on my machine unchecked items inHKCU.....HKLM has just "default" value not set, and nwiz.exe install.....will this vary between machines?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice