1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will 100 amp electric cable next to cat6 cause interference?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cdedriksen, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdedriksen

cdedriksen Thread Starter

I built a shop next to my house and ran a 100 amp electric cable from my house main 200 amp panel to a 100 amp sub panel in the shop. The 100 amp cable runs underground for 10 feet in conduit from the house to the shop and then up to the new sub panel. When I poured the foundation I laid two separate conduit lines in the ground next to each other. One for the 100 amp electric and a second in case I thought of something else. Now I want to run a cat 6 line into the shop from the router in the house through the second empty conduit line but I am wondering if there will be problems or effects from being close to the 100 amp electric line in the other conduit line. Do I need to wrap the cat six in something special because of the close proximity it will have to the 100 amp electric cable for 10 feet running underground in the second conduit line?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's shielded CAT6 cable, you should be okay.

You didn't say what the distance will be from your shop to the router in your house where you will be running CAT6 cable.

I'll leave you with the networking experts here. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Frank's suggestion with running shielded CAT6 is the solution to prevent any interference from the adjacent power line. With that said, I also have a 100A subpanel in my basement where my server room is from the 200A main panel in my garage. I have unshielded CAT5e cabling running along the area where the subpanel is in my server room with 2 balanced power transformers. This cabling is also running in a conduit I have from that area through the garage in parallel to the 100A power line literally inches away. I haven't seen any ill effects from this placement.

As an aside, since you're running new cabling, I would not run CAT6 but CAT6a. CAT6a will allow full complaince to 10GigE at the standard max distance of 100 meters. CAT6 will support 10GigE but at a reduced distance of around 50 or so meters. I suspect the cost differential between 6 and 6a is pretty minimal.

4. cdedriksen

cdedriksen Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies. I just walked it off and the distance the from the shop to the router is roughly 50 feet including down into conduit, underground across to house, up wall to attic, across attic to office, and down into office to router. it is only in the 10 foot underground area that the cable is near the 100 amp in separate conduit. I will go look at the CAT6a. I bought a box kit of CAT6 but I don't know if it is shielded. I will check and I think I can return it and look for shielded CAT6a instead. If it is not shielded and I cannot return it, is the shielding like aluminum foil? Could I wrap 15 feet of it where it will run near the electric wire? Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice