1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will 802.11g work through plaster walls?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by St!nkf!nger, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

I just bought a house and want to put the pc in a spare bedroom on the second story. I'll be getting another pc here relatively soon and it will be going in the basement. Additionally, my Xbox will be in the basement.

Right now I use a Linksys BEFSR41 but want to get a wireless router when I move. Will an 802.11g wireless router be able to transmit through plaster walls and down two floors and still work flawlessly broadcasting to my new pc and the Xbox?

St!nk

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

The best way to determine that would be to buy one and try it. If it doesn't work just return it and say it didn't work (you wouldn't be lying).

I just installed 802.11g Wireless AP and it works through Plaster walls.

3. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It will depend on the distance and other factors. Some plaster is laid onto wire screening, if so it could attenuate the signals more than expected. As mentioned, the best way is to try one...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice