1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will a 20pin power adapter work in a 24pin socket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EasY_TargeT, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT Thread Starter

i have a ASUS P5GD1-V and it has a 24 pin and a 4 pin power plugs. (picture attached) and my power supply has a 20pin connector and a 4 pin adapter, and i was wondering if i could just plug my 20pin into the 24 and the 4 pin into the 4 pin, would that work w/o screwing up my board?

2. accat13

accat13

3. EasY_TargeT

right sorry i was in a rush here is the pic, yes it is the p5rd1-v and the picture is now attached which side would i plug it into using the picture below, left or right? or does it matter

Attached Files:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless the power supply is a very high quality unit, I would not recommend doing this. Once you understand how the 20-24 pin connector works, you understand why.

The 24 pin power supplies use 2 12V rails to supply power to the board. When you use an adapter, what it does is split the single 12V rail [on a 20 pin ps] into two. With most mid-range ps putting out 18amp or so on the 12V, this is just asking for problems. If you have a VERY high quality ps; something that puts out 30amp or so on the 12V, then it will work.

In short the board was designed to use a 24 pin connector for a reason; it needs it.

5. 4steve44

4steve44

Just use the 20pin to 24pin adapter :rolleyes:

6. EasY_TargeT

well i plugged the the 20pin in and POOF, it worked thanks guys, but any recommendations for a 24pin PS?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use this in my own system.

I just built a system with this unit. It has a detachable plug on the atx connector so it can power either 20 pin or a 24 pin. I was impressed with it. You only connect the number of power leads you need so it keeps the case clean and free of extra wires.

8. accat13

accat13

Hmmm I some how new it would work "as per the manual" LOL ....Plus it worked for me...although they don't make it very clear how the 20 pin fits into the 24 pin slot on the board...I went over the pin out drawings to be safe. :)How do you like the board so far...

9. EasY_TargeT

board is good, wish the onboard wouldnt steal 64mb of my ram tho

10. accat13

accat13

I boosted my video ram up to 128.Depending on your ram you may want to go to the asus site to check the bios, I know there is an issue with single channel ram and the onboard video

11. EasY_TargeT

you can add ram to your onboard, WHAT!! well i guess i could sacrafice 256MB

12. accat13

accat13

I wish....In the bios its adjustable,from 64 up to
    128 I believe.To lazy to reboot and check exactly..But it is adjustable....

13. EasY_TargeT

ya its only 128M, meh i can still play BF2 on low

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice