Will a 5.25" Floppy Drive Work With W98SE?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CWRWinger

I installed an old 5.25" floppy drive into an old but working well, NEC PIII with the OEM W98SE OS which uses FAT32.
The floppy seems to respond properly and work, but I keep getting messages about the disks being "damaged" even though I'm using brand new Maxwell disks. The floppy was working when it was removed from an old 486, but has been in storage for a couple of decades.

It also will not read old disks. Is this because FAT32 does not recognize a disk formatted to some other file system?

Thanks for your response.

Never heard of floppies being resuscitated after such hibernation

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's possible that the drive is severely out of alignment. There should be no technical reason it should not work with that system. Is it a DS/DD drive? And do you have it identified properly in the BIOS?

CWRWinger

Thanks for the feedback. It started working again! I just had to use it a few more times. It copies and writes just fine, except it won't copy some .exe files (??) Copies some, but not all. That may be something else.

Yes, it was set properly in the BIOS. Apparently just a hardware problem because of long storage.

Now I can copy all my old engineering software and put them on CD's. Still some good stuff on those old floppies.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Glad to hear it's working again! You can mark this thread "Solved" if you are satisfied.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
They have a gob of silicon grease lubricating the moving parts and it sometime dries out a bit and needs warming up and stirring.

Look after that drive as they are worth quite a bit of money now especially if it is a HD 1.2 drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online