1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will a backup copy (to disk) of an installed XP the same as original install disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hhannam, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Please forgive my basic ignorance on this type of matter, but.........

I have been looking on Ebay at used/refurbished computers for upgrading from my current and older P4 chip computer. One that I'm looking at says that it has a (legal and genuine version) of Windows XP Pro SP3 o/s installed on the custom built computer, but there's no disk.

If I were to purchase a computer like this, and make a back up copy of that installed o/s on my own disk, will there be any difference than if I had received the original installation disk or manufacturer's restore disk?.....or would the installed (and backup) o/s be considered an "unlicensed" copy?

***I never cease to be amazed by the extent to which people are capable of (deluding themselves by) engaging in distorting and denying reality in an attempt to satisfy their fears, wants and needs?***

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, a copy would not be the same as the installation disk. But even better than an installation disk is a "disk image". It saves everything, your programs, your operating system, and all your files, for when the drive fails.

You are very wise to be considering how to recover. A disk image is much better than a "recovery partition" on the drive which is useless when the drive fails.

Buy an external drive for backup (though CD's and DVD's can be used, you can make backups far more easily, and thus frequently, with an external drive, or even a second internal drive). DVD's are fine if all you want is a single backup of the original system, but an imager can take snapshots along the way so less is lost.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

Macrium Reflect
    Clonezilla (Bare-metal restoration from image)
    Partimage
    SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)

Commercial Apps:

[email protected] Disk Image
    O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    ShadowProtect (Also online backups.)
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Elvandil.....thank you for your very thorough and informative reply. I truly appreciate all of the info. Thanks to folks like you, folks like me are saved from serious and costly errors and also gain a wealth of useful knowledge. If I can ever return the kindness in any way....just holler thisaway! (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice