1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will a cdrom from a dell machine work in non-dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystmaiden, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystmaiden

mystmaiden Thread Starter

I recently bought a cd writer and have found out it was originally meant for a dell computer - mine isn't a dell though.

The writer manual is here - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p60335/en/index.htm

The machine is just some clone I picked up at a garage sale, it works really well except that the cd writer quit recently. It has an MS- 6738 motherboard and duron processor running Ubuntu 10.04 currently.

Will the dell cd writer work in it? So far I'm having no luck but I'm new at this so I wasn't sure if it was my error or simply not going to happen

thanks

mystmaiden

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is no reason the Dell writer shouldn't work in another machine. Do you have the "jumper" on the Dell writer set to the same position as the old optical drive?

3. mystmaiden

It's on its own IDE cable and I originally set the jumper as shown in the manual for master. That didn't work so I reset it like the cdrom I had in there (different brand) - no joy there either.

The cdrw shows up in bios and at post. sudo lshw also shows it. I'm baffled as to what is missing.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is it on its own IDE cable with no other devices on the cable? If it the last drive on the cable you could set it to either master or cable select. Have you ever seen the drive operate? I've seen numerous drives that show up in BIOS or Device Manager that still failed to operate.

5. mystmaiden

Thank you for the replies.
    It's on its own cable and set to master at this moment. I have never seen it work - I just purchased it and it was listed as new. It does open and close but will not boot a live os cd - haven't tried it yet with an audio cd, that's next on my list.

edited to add - no luck on the audio cd, the light comes on on the drives, blinks for a bit then goes off. I tried a different hard drive with a different linux os, same deal.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice