Will a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium work better in a PCI-e x16 slot?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chris6273

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of grabbing a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Sound Card for Christmas as I am fed up of the distortion of bass from my onboard sound but there is a question which I am curious as to what the answer is...

Would the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium work better when slotted into a PCI-e x16 slot rather than the PCI-e x1 slot?

Cheers for your answers

leroys1000

Banned
No,it will just use the same contacts as the pci express 1 slot uses.
Although you could use it that way if you need the space.it's not
going to make any performance difference.

By a coincidence, I just had the reverse...

I tried my card in a 16x slot (did not have access to a 1x), but as this put the soundcard right next to my second GFX card I had to move it. Involved removing the UD7 huge heatsink, but I did manage to get it into a 1x slot. No performance loss at all- it only uses the 1x contacts as leroys said, and it seemed to have a mnor impact on FPS. I assume from this that the extra lane in the 16x slot in addition to the 2 GFX cards it didnt like.

So no, put it in a 1x- there is no benefit to more lanes, as it wont use them anyway, and MAY have a slight effect on other things :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online