1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will a dead CMOS battery slow computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RGJr61, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RGJr61

RGJr61 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1917 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series, 4 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 112971 MB, Free - 57687 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, IAYAA
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Hi:

My CMOS battery is dead and I've yet to open and replace. I keep the time set correctly manually. Would this cause the computer to operate as if in slow motion?

I've run several CPU speed checks and all report over double the 1.73 GHz, sometimes as high as 2.8 GHz.

Any and all advice or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. It may not be completely beyond the realm of possibility, but it is not likely that any BIOS settings would affect speed noticeably.

Replace the battery.

3. RGJr61

RGJr61 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have found instructions for opening the case. So I'm gonna give it a shot.

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I'm assuming you're using instructions from irisvista.com or similar. This sort of stuff isn't hard, but I would suggest you keep all the screws you remove organized, and follow all instructions carefully. Just be especially careful with the ribbon connectors for keyboard, etc., don't break the latches that secure the cables, and you should be OK. Jeweler's screwdrivers and patience should see you through.

5. RGJr61

RGJr61 Thread Starter

Thanks for writing. Yes, I did find a set of steps w/pics at irisvista. Took it apart yesterday and CMOS is soldered to board. Found battery at Frys, but NOT rechargeable! So I've decided to live w/it till I buy the latest and greatest!

Thanks again for all the feedback.

RG (n)

6. RGJr61

RGJr61 Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment. See my reply below.

Cheers.

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Congratulations! Most folks lack the nerve to dismember their laptop. Leaving the current battery in place probably won't effect the performance a bit. No CMOS battery is rechargeable; you just have to replace them as they go bad. Most of them will last (or outlast) the life of a computer.

8. managed

managed Allan

Some (older ?) laptops have rechargeable Cmos batteries, I have one that does. (Toshiba Portege M100).

9. RGJr61

RGJr61 Thread Starter

Thanks for the ego stroke. I've been doing electronics (Heath Kits) since I was seven. My dad was in Crypto in the USAF.

Not only did I get it all apart, but also back together (a few leftover screws..LOL) and I'm using it now. As to rechargeable, the Sanyo CR1220 in my 5 yr. old Toshiba Satellite A135 is (was?) rechargeable and unfortunately soldered into place.

The fact that he clock won't keep time even on AC leads me to believe I have MUCH bigger problems, like new computer
    type problems.

Thanks for all the feedback. Cheers. Robert (y)

10. RGJr61

RGJr61 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Mine has a Sanyo rechargeable.

Cheers,

RG

11. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Issues of rechargeable CMOS batteries aside, you'll find that the clock chip on both laptops and desktops is frequently unreliable, and while it's a PITA, that doesn't mean it's automatically time for a new laptop. It's a pain, but is it worth a new lappie? Your call.

12. managed

managed Allan

13. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I have certainly been wrong before, but I've never seen a rechargeable CMOS battery, and I've replaced many CMOS batteries in the last 15 years. Show me the documentation for that rechargeable CMOS battery, and I will owe you an AttaBoy!

14. managed

managed Allan

15. RGJr61

RGJr61 Thread Starter

Documentation, shoot I looked at the battery with my own eyes (under extreme magnification), and it CLEARLY read "Sanyo" "CR1220" and "Rechargeable"!

No atta boys here either. I'll have an "Aww sh*t" any moment and wipe it out anyway....:p

Robert

PS--> as a matter of interest, right now and for 6 hours yesterday, everything is at normal speed. But later on it sloooowed waaaaay doooooown!!!??? I'm gonna price the board but still want a newer laptop. Thanks again all! RG

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054244