Will a modem help me with internet connection

Olusteebus

This is a real basic question and I am hoping to get a better, more consistent signal from my Wilson signal booster to my laptop. Here is some basic info on what I am using.

I have a 4g wilson signal booster for a small home. My inside antenna is about 20 to 25 feet way from computer.

I am using a my sprint samsung cellphone as a hotspot, placed next to my booster interior antenna.

The signal I am getting at my phone, next to the interior antenna is about -111 to -109 dbi.

Would I benefit (get stronger signal) If I installed a router. If so, should I install it hear my phone (which is about 25 feet away at my booster) or near my computer. If it is near my computer, should I hardwire my router to my laptop.

My service is sprint.

Any help for this neophyte is greatly appreciated.

Can I use an inexpensive router or should I go with a more expensive router like a
NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem Wi-Fi Router Combo

"-111 to -109 db" is terrible. You need to get closer to the nearest Sprint cellphone tower, or get a better exterior Yagi-type antenna up on a mast on your house that will help increase that signal closer to -50 db.

TerryNet

Terry
Can I use an inexpensive router or should I go with a more expensive router like a
NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem Wi-Fi Router Combo
No, and no, as long as you are using cellular for your internet service.

If you get cable service then that Netgear modem/router would be great. But whether it would be needed or whether the least expensive modem and router would be sufficient depends on your service bandwidth and size of area and how you use the internet and the number of devices in simultaneous use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online