Will a new motherboard work with my pre-installed windows 7?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Super_Saiyan

I have done just about everything with computers except installing a brand new motherboard, got a good deal on some older models and just building a cpu on the side, I will be swapping out a gigabyte g31m-es2l mainboard with a core 2 duo for a gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p with a core 2 quad. When I swap out the boards and plug in my hard drives with windows 7 on it will it boot up? Google search has lead me to believe I will have to do a clean install but is it required? This is my first run with a brand new mother board not sure on the do this first steps, thank you!

If it's an OEM version, it probably won't boot on any different hardware, though similar may do it. A reinstall may be needed, and if the old board was tattooed by the manufacturer and you have an OEM version of Windows, it won't install on a new board unless it was a replacement provided by the original manufacturer. It's a completely different computer.

Super_Saiyan

Hmm not 100% on if it was tattooed. It had xp on it, I did a clean install and bought Windows 7 myself and installed it.

Oh. If it's a retail Windows 7 that you installed yourself, then I'd say your chances of booting are maybe 50/50 since you have a similar board that may use the same chipset drivers.

If you really want to keep that installation, look around the free Paragon software, some for administrators. You may find something called "Adaptive Restore" that strips the drivers from an installation so it can be moved to new hardware.

Some imaging programs do that, too, though I'm not sure abot the free ones.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images, 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
Macrium Reflect (Free)
O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
Easeus Todo Backup
Acronis True Image For WD (reduced, free version for WD drives - cloning and imaging)
Acronis True Image For Seagate (DiscWizard) (reduced, free version for Seagate drives - cloning and imaging)
ODIN (open-source)
Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
Drive Image XML
PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
Partition Saving
Clonezilla
Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)
ImageX and GImageX (Geekware. Small images due to "single instancing" and allows partial, selected restore of image parts. Used by Microsoft to apply disk image to drive during "installation" of Windows 7.)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

Super_Saiyan

Thanks I have a 1TB back im gonna do anyways, hook it all up and pray for the best. Doesnt install, clean install it is!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online