will a PI 266 see a 300gb external drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kaaos

some one game me an NEC PI laptop 5gb. its actually small considering that its over 7 yrs old. the person that gave it wants some pictures stored on it. since it does not have a floppy of a recordable drive i wanted to plug in my external and save it that way.

he had win 98 on it when he bought it but has since installed win XP pro. it does have one USB post on it

kaaos

alwrmc said:
Why not try and see if it is recognized?
i did plug it in but it did not even make that " door bell " ding when i plugged it in. i checked to see if it was listed in 'my computer" and it was not

well you probly need to look for some drivers to put on it first. or update to latest service packs they fix some things like usb drives and space limitations.

well it should be more dependt on the os then the chip but im guessing your 300gig external is usb 2.0 and the laptop will have usb 1 or usb1.1. That could be your problem.

mtzlplex

Account Closed
Now let me get this straight, A P1 266 and you are trying to run XP, good luck, (should have stuck with 98), that thing ought to be slower than molassas in winter. plus the diff in usb you probably have usb 1, or 1.1, and 300gig usb has to be usb2. If the one who wants the pics has internet, and the laptop you have has internet, why don`t you email the pics. Unless there are so many that it isn`t possible. I don`t know this as a fact, but I believe there are internet sites where you can email storage your photos, then have the one who wants them pick them up there. Good luck

Regards
IMP49

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, the size of the external drive is not a factor here, since XP will support any size external drive, no BIOS limitations apply. USB 1.1 vs. USB 2.0 is also not a factor in the recognition, just in the speed of access.

I'd be looking in Device Manager to see if the USB ports are recognized. Many times older machines require motherboard specific drivers for their USB controllers. If the USB ports are properly recognized, try this.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online