1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will a Power over Ethernet (PoE) adapter give my computer internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CamCracker, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CamCracker

CamCracker Thread Starter

I want to buy a Power over Ethernet adapter for my computer. I need to know if this will let me plug a cat5 cable in the adapter and then the other end in my computer and have internet. And I just have a question. Does this take a lot of power? How much on average a month would it cost to use PoE? And can anyone suggest me an adapter that will let me do this with good speeds (if it will let me connect to the internet)? Thanks!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Are you expecting to run your computer power wise from this PoE adapter? If so, you need to lower your expectations as all commonly available adapters don't have enough power to do this. The most common spec and one you'll find most PoE devices you purchase through normal channels can only supply up to a max of 15.4W meeting IEEE 802.3af standards.

The other part of the equation is that the device you purchase has to be able to support PoE. So I highly doubt the onboard NIC (or any add in PC NIC adapter) supports PoE.

The adapter you are looking to use is probably an inline power injector to help feed a PoE capable device like a VoIP phone, WAP, security camera, etc. The adapter is used in environments where there is not a capable PoE switch being used.

3. SiliconDesert

SiliconDesert

I was looking for something similar to use for my home automation consoles. I purchased a couple PoE Computers from www.SkinnyBytes.com and they worked great. 16" touchscreen AIO's that receive all of their power over the network cable. I didn't have an AC outlet in the closet where I wanted to put the computer, so it was great just running a CAT5 cable to it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970243