Will an ADSL2 splitter improve my internet speeds?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jono888

I'm looking to increase my internet speeds as much as possible and was wondering how much my central splitter affects internet speeds? I have an ADSL splitter at the moment, im going to link 3 photos which shows the splitter and how it is wired. Also if you look at the black phone line which connects my house you can see that only two wires are being used (blue and white)? Is this the right setup for ADSL2 or should all 4 wires be connected to the splitter? Im getting only about 500kb/s download and 40kb/s upload max right now so hopefully a new splitter and wiring could help?

www.photobucket.com/centralsplitterwired

That album contains the photos, if anyone could help out it would be great! thanks

TerryNet

Terry
Phone service (both POTS and ADSL) uses only two wires.

What maximum bandwidth are you supposed to be getting?

Jono888

Well im with Telstra on the BigPond Elite Liberty* (200GB) - ADSL and when we got it they said i should get around 20mbits/s and obviously im not getting close and im only around 2km from the exchange. I would even be really happy with 8mbits/s. thanks

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I doubt that a different splitter will help, but rewiring the one you have might help. You should have the two "MODEM" wires going to your ADSL modem, and there should not be any phones or other equipment connected to those two wires inside your house. There should be two "PHONE" wires connected to the filter for phones and other equipment in your house.

The flat four wire cable also is not good, especially for high speed ADSL. Using one twisted pair in a CAT5 or CAT6 cable would be better.

Jono888

Yea thanks. The two modem wires are going to the ADSL modem, but the phone and internet work through the providers little splitter filter thing which you plug into the wall, this doesnt affect speed either as the modem by itself is the same.
And yes I just rewired this yesterday (was a lot messier before) and it seemed to help marginally, but i think using the cat5 or 6 cable is a good idea. I just ordered a 20m cat6 ethernet cable yesterday as well which im using to run down to my room, if i have any left over ill probably use it to rewire it again.
So when i use one twisted pair it doesnt matter which pair i use? Thanks for the help

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
The blue and white/blue pair is standard for the first line, but it really doesn't matter which you use. Since you are going to the trouble of re-wiring, I would connect the blue & white/blue pair for the modem, and the orange & white/orange pair for the phones. Then re-wire inside your house so the modem and phones are separated.You don't need any filters inside this way.

Jono888

Yea thats does seem like a good idea, so you are saying that I will need two wall sockets (one for internet and one for phones) instead of one? Will replacing the flat phone cable with cat6 cable improve speeds by a lot? Thanks for the help

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I can't say for sure it will improve speeds, but it should help. Having a filter wired with the modem and phone wiring separated makes the difference between ADSL working reliably in some installations, vs. not working reliably (or at all) without it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online