1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will an "OEM" disk install windows XP on any computer, more than once?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PrinceRameses, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrinceRameses

PrinceRameses Thread Starter

I found one online and was wondering just what it was before I purchased it.

And what is a COA disk? Can that be used more than once?OEM
    COA
    COA 2

2. lunarlander

lunarlander It's My Birthday!

A Certificate of Authencity is the sticker with the serial # of Windows on it.

The 2 ebay auctions you posted are showing Dell disks. Many system vendors include hardware specific drivers on their own disks, and remove other things from a standard Windows install disk. So I wouldn't buy either of them.

An OEM license allows you to purchase hardware and a Windows disk together, with a lower price for Windows.

3. PrinceRameses

Can both be used more than once on various computers?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

One license = one computer.

OEM versions, once installed, can only be reinstalled on that exactly computer. Even if you remove it from that computer, you cannot install it on another computer.

5. PrinceRameses

Darn, ok, thank you.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Does it have to be Windows? If you want something free & legal for as many installs as you want you could look at Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Richard

7. PrinceRameses

I have Ubuntu now. ;)

But flash does not work well with linux and it is making me want windows. I'm actually dual booting, but the windows partition has a terrible virus and it keeps saying the hard drive is corrupt. (due to the virus I am sure)
    So I wanted a fresh install of win 2000 or XP but I have a few other computer I'd like to put it on, too if I was going to buy a disk.

Are there and windows disks that can be used more than once?

8. 1002richards

I think if you buy your own copy of Windows from Microsoft you can re-install it on the same machine as often as you need to. But I think for multiple machines you need multiple legal purchases.

Have you tried in the Ubuntu forums for flash help? Which version of Ubuntu are you running - in case newer versions have flash working better?

9. PrinceRameses

I have tried the forums for advice and basically all I got in response is that the flash plugin for linux is inferior to windows' plugin. Even Mac's plugin isn't as good as windows.

I have 8.04 as well as Xubuntu 10.04.

10. 1002richards

The most recent long term supported is 10.04, the most recent is 10.10. You could have a look at a derivative called Mint there current edition is Mint 10 and says "Adobe Flash: Linux Mint comes with the latest Adobe Flash "Square", running in full 32-bit or 64-bit (depending on your edition of Linux Mint) native mode. This plugin is faster than its predecessor, especially in full-screen."

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_julia_whatsnew.php

11. PrinceRameses

Hmm.. I might try that. I might have a copy of mint, actually. Though I'm not sure if it's the most recent. Thanks.

12. 1002richards

You're welcome, hope it works!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice