Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will an upgrade version of MS Office see a hookey one as a qualification for upgrade

777 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DoubleHelix 
#1 ·
I have a copy of MS Office Professional 2003 that has been installed and working fine for 2 years. Now (perhaps as a result of a Microsoft update ?) I am told that it is not genuine and will fail to work in 10 days. The invalidity is confirmed at http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/ It seems this is part of a bunch of product keys that purport to be one in a series of a volume licence but were really stolen.

Do I need to buy a full retail edtion of Office Professional 2007 or will an upgrade version be acceptable to the activation code ?

#3 ·
I thought it was legal when I bought it, but for some reason it now turns out not to be. I don't really understand how it was activated previously if it is now being caught by the Genuine trap. Could MS have updated a database of cracked product keys ?

#4 ·
Of course they do. They're constantly updating their systems to flag keys that are suspected to have been stolen or illegally distributed.

You'd know if your copy of Office was legal if you purchased it in a retail box with a COA and a hologram on the disk and all that fun stuff.

If you bought it off eBay or the disk is a copy, then it's an illegal copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.