Will any window 8 disk do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mastersmodo

I had my parents give me a laptop with window 8. I have no disk or product key. It will not update. Microsoft chat agents tried a few times, but wouldn't really do much without charging me. Since I already have window 8 installed, can I use a friends disk to repair? Apparently I can't do the system reboot from scratch thing because I'm missing files.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would contact the OEM of this laptop and see if you could get a DVD of the system and drivers. Being Windows 8 they should still be available.

Using some one else DVD, may not have the right drivers which yes, you can down load from the OEM's web site in most cases.

Make and model will help us help you more?

TerryNet

Terry
can I use a friends disk to repair?
Yes (assuming it is a legitimate genuine Windows 8 or 8.1). Might be better to just install and start fresh. (I am assuming this PC came with Windows 8 preinstalled.)

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Do you mean it will not download and install windows updates

OR do you mean it will not update - but by that UPGRADE to Windows 8.1

2. The info from this would be useful as a starting point
http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

please run it and copy and paste the info in the white box

3. IF this computer the subject of this topic is the same computer as in your previous topic

I have a poor laptop because I'm a poor guy. I'm trying to play WOW but my fps is 4 to 8. I think I need about 20 to play correctly. This laptop was a hand me down from my parents who know less about computers than I do. It's an old machine loaded with the windows 8. From what I can tell, the driver for the graphics cards doesn't even support windows 8
which was here
http://forums.techguy.org/games/1138629-improving-laptop-wow.html

then I fear the answer is the same as it was on that earlier topic
You machine might be having a few issues if it wasn't designed for Windows 8
4. If it is the same laptop - then troubleshooting problems with Windows 8 on it are unfortunately a lost cause, if as you say - you cannot find the drivers and have established that the graphics will not work with 8

4. THAT all said we will know better if you can post the exact model of the TOSHIBA

5. As an aside issue if you still have this installed

IObit\Advanced SystemCare 7\ASCService.exe

You will most certainly have problems. Such programs have no place on Windows 8, if you want the computer to run smoothly. The only advanced aspect of these type of programs - is their advanced ability to ruin your computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online