1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will any window 8 disk do?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mastersmodo, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastersmodo

mastersmodo Thread Starter

I had my parents give me a laptop with window 8. I have no disk or product key. It will not update. Microsoft chat agents tried a few times, but wouldn't really do much without charging me. Since I already have window 8 installed, can I use a friends disk to repair? Apparently I can't do the system reboot from scratch thing because I'm missing files.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would contact the OEM of this laptop and see if you could get a DVD of the system and drivers. Being Windows 8 they should still be available.

Using some one else DVD, may not have the right drivers which yes, you can down load from the OEM's web site in most cases.

Make and model will help us help you more?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes (assuming it is a legitimate genuine Windows 8 or 8.1). Might be better to just install and start fresh. (I am assuming this PC came with Windows 8 preinstalled.)

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Do you mean it will not download and install windows updates

OR do you mean it will not update - but by that UPGRADE to Windows 8.1

2. The info from this would be useful as a starting point
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

please run it and copy and paste the info in the white box

3. IF this computer the subject of this topic is the same computer as in your previous topic

which was here
    http://forums.techguy.org/games/1138629-improving-laptop-wow.html

then I fear the answer is the same as it was on that earlier topic
    4. If it is the same laptop - then troubleshooting problems with Windows 8 on it are unfortunately a lost cause, if as you say - you cannot find the drivers and have established that the graphics will not work with 8

4. THAT all said we will know better if you can post the exact model of the TOSHIBA

5. As an aside issue if you still have this installed

IObit\Advanced SystemCare 7\ASCService.exe

You will most certainly have problems. Such programs have no place on Windows 8, if you want the computer to run smoothly. The only advanced aspect of these type of programs - is their advanced ability to ruin your computer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice