1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will BT infinity be effected by poor cabling?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hungledink, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hungledink

hungledink Thread Starter

At the moment I am on sky broadband. I had an Openreach engineer visit this week and he advised me that the cable connecting from the cabinet to my property, a distance of about 500 yards, seems faulty.

The reason for the diagnosis was that my adsl connection lost 1.5meg in speed from the cabinet to the property.

He told sky that they should have some underground work done but they wont do it so I am moving to BT infinity.

So, the question is, if the cable from cabinet to property is faulty for adsl broadband, will it have an adverse effect on BT infinity speeds?

Thanks for any help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With a search for BT Infinity I found that it seems to be fiber optic. So, your faulty phone line would have no impact on it.

3. hungledink

hungledink Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The service is fibre optic, but only FTTC.

Is this likely to effect performance?

4. spudy12

spudy12

you will most likely see a huge improvement over what speeds your currently getting even with a faulty cable.
    it wouldn't be as fast as is you had Fibre to your house but you should still get around 5mb (Don't hold me to that ;) )
    Might still be worth trying to bet BT to replace the cables as they own them and if you are a customer they shouldn't charge you!

Must say I'm dam jealous! I'm stuck with a rather S*** half a Meg with talk talk :/

Spud

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    No. FTTC is used as a replacement for POTS (phone wire) so it should be different cabling, perhaps some coaxial to the home from the outside (fiber). If you are really concerned, contact BT and tell them what was told to you, so that way when they install it to your home they are aware and get that replaced if/as needed.

Explaination of FTTC

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm with Couriant. If they are going to use the same phone lines to your house you won't like the results. Probably they will lay coax to the house, but you should check on that detail.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice