1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will cat 5e run a gigabyte LAN?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SPL Tech, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

Is cat 5e good enough for a 1,000 Mbps network or do I need cat 6 to get a full 1 Gbps of data transfer? The total run is about 20 feet. Also whats the limit of cat 5e?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes, in truth CAT5e will handle gigabyte connections of the full specified maximum length, around 93 meters.

3. jmwills

jmwills

Yes indeedy. My LAN is living proof, at least when Telecom is gracious enough to keep my DSL connection alive!!

4. JohnWill

I have CAT5e all around, and I have gigabyte connections at the end of about 120 feet of CAT5e, no sweat.

5. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

But will you see data transfer speeds of 1,000 Mbps with cat 5e? I am being told that cat 5e's limit is about 350 - 400 Mbps of actual transfer speed and cat 6 is limited to about 600 - 700 Mbps of actual transfer speed.

6. JohnWill

Yep, you'll see full speed. The modulation isn't at a gigahertz, but rather 125mbits. Also, gigabit connections use all eight wires in the cable, 100mbit connections only use two pairs. You was told wrong. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!