1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will CD drive automatically write if it reads?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by azdood, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azdood

azdood Thread Starter

I was just given a Dell computer with the home XP on it. It will read CDs but I can't put pictures onto a CD without getting a notice saying I don't have the equipment to do that. Do I need to purchase some sort of hardware to do this or is there a software program that will solve the problem? Thank you.

2. ohheck

ohheck

er - is it a cd rom or a cd rw drive??? regular old cd rom drive wont burn cds....

3. azdood

azdood Thread Starter

Thanks ohheck - I checked and it's a read only drive. Here's the low-down:

Manufacturer NEC
    Model number DV-5700A
    Interface ATAPI / IDE
    Compatible CD-ROM standards CD-Audio
    CD-ROM (Mode 1 and Mode 2)
    CD-R (read only)
    CD-RW (read only, Orange book Part3)
    CD-ROM XA (Mode 2, Form 1 and Form 2)
    Photo CD (single-session and multisession)
    CD-I (FMV)
    Video CD
    CD Extra

Does this mean I have to buy something or can I download some sort of software to make it write?

Thanks again,
    az dood

4. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Azdood,

The NEC DV-5700A model is a DVD-ROM drive. ROM= read only memory drive. Emphasis on READ ONLY.

It means it will READ regular CD's as well as DVDs. If you want to burn files/data on the CD, you'll need #1) a CD-RW drive and #2) some CD-R disks; #3) If you're not using WinXP, you'll need some burning software such as Nero.

Personally, I would invest in a DVD-RW drive instead because is the capacity is significantly higher and faster speeds will soon be released.

5. azdood

azdood Thread Starter

"If you're not using WinXP, you'll need some burning software such as Nero."

Thank you Tushman -

I am using WinXP Home Edition. Does that mean that there is something built into my computer that will enable me to write to CD-Rs? I'll eventually get a new DVD-RW Drive but would rather not purchase anything at the present time unless I have to.

Thanks again,
    az dood

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't have to buy any software, but you still need to buy hardware: a CD-RW drive. You can't write CDs with what you have.

7. azdood

azdood Thread Starter

OK. Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/353839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice