1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will changing drive letter of HDD on one computer cause it to change on another?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NovemberBlue, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NovemberBlue

NovemberBlue Thread Starter

I have an HP dv9500 laptop that was giving me some problems, so I bought two external HDD enclosures so that I could take out the hard drives and transfer the data to my new laptop. To avoid confusion with other external drives that I've attached, I renamed the two hard drives H: and P: on the new laptop.

After I transferred the data, I put the HDDs back into the original dv9500 and was going to run the restore disk. However, now it won't even power on, as if the motherboard has gone out. I had the motherboard replaced last August, so I really hope that's not the problem now!

I'm wondering, since I renamed the C: drive that hosts the OS on the new laptop, will it change the letter in the original laptop as well, causing it not to find C: in order to boot? Just trying to rule some things out before I write it off as a piece of junk. Any help would be appreciated!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A drive letter assigned on one computer has no effect on a different computer. However, if you modified the system drive letter (C:) in Windows while it was booted up, you'll have all kinds of problems, and I doubt the computer will even boot up again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/993533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice