1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will clearwire work with puppy linux?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by one.sensei, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. one.sensei

one.sensei Thread Starter

not the card, but the box with ethernet cable.
    Will it work without any special configuration?

Thanks.

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

One way to find out, try it.

That is the beauty of the LiveCD.

3. one.sensei

Yes, but it's not for me. A friend of mine has a win 98 computer that doesn't run so well. I'm almost certain Puppy will put some life back in it, but he has clearwire, so I don't know if the internet will work, and I don't want to go all the way over there to have it not work. :)

Certainly someone knows? I googled it a bit, but I didn't really find anything.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I have not had to configure anything for ethernet with any distro including puppy (@ a dozen).

Tell it is ethernet and usually follow defaults.

My cable modem is RCA.

I am also going through a Netgear router, which doesn't seem to matter either.

5. one.sensei

Ok. I'll give it a try and hope it works. The only reason I doubt it will just work is because it's wireless, and I know for adapters, linux makes it really difficult to use. Of courseclearwire isn't an adapter, so I don't know.

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Wireless may be a problem. But you can always hard wire it to get proper drivers. Hopefully. I don't use wireless.

7. one.sensei

That's what clearwire is. I've seen commercials about it and it's a box that uses an ethernet cable.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Apparently, minime, which is a remaster of PCLinuxOS, works quite well with wireless.

It is @ 300MB. Can install whatever on it to make it a full blown OS.

May want to download it and take it as well.

3rd link under parent directory.
    http://spout.ussg.indiana.edu/linux/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/

It does not set-up connection automatically but is done with the utilities folder on the desktop once installed/running.

It is a LiveCD to boot. Pun intended.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice