1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will Dimension 3000 board fit Dimension 2400 case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I don't see much difference in the systems. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 here and am considering a replacement board. E-bay seems to have better deals on Dimension 3000 boards and they do look the same to me.

Anyone know any reason why the 3000 board wouldn't do well in a 2400 case?

Do they both use the same memory?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The board will fit the case, but you may want to upgrade the power supply. Also the processor may want to upgraded depending on the processor in your 2400. The OS if you are still using the original XP home as provided by dell probably won't work though.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you buy a Dell board the OS will work.

Both the 2400 and the 3000 use uATX boards. If I remember correctly the 3000 has rear diagnostic lights and the 2400 doesn't. I know the the 2400 I/O plate is removable because I have some in stock, but I don't remember if the 3000 I/O plate was part of the case or removable.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I just looked at the back of my Dimension 3000, no Diagnostic lights on the outside. The IO Plate is removable. I no longer have my Dimension 2400 so I can't say whether ther IO Plates on them is the same. But the IO Plate is the same on the Dimension B110 and the 3000.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    My Dell 3000 came with Restoration Discs that include the OS and all, Plus there is the Restoration partition. My B110 only came with the Restoration Partition. I have never had need to try to use the Restoration Discs from one Dell to Restore another Dell. I have also never had reason to replace a Dell Motherboard with an updated board from th same Model Series (Dimension).

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I was mistaken, I just looked at an old board out of a 2400 I just scrapped and it does have diagnotic lights, on the board and of course on the I/O plate.

Dell indicates the 3000 also has diagnostic lights, but if you have one and it doesn't have them then I guess it doesn't. I haven't worked on a 3000 in a few months.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/specs.htm#wp1075776

Any Dell XP restore disk will work on another Dell with the same COA, i.e. XP Home to XP Home or XP Pro to XP Pro. If I get a Dell in with XP Home that needs to be re-loaded I just grab a Dell XP Home disk. The same for XP Pro no matter what model as long as the COA is correct.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I didnt pull the cover off the case, the Diagnostic lights might be on the board but inside the case. A lot of the dells beside the Dimension have Diagnostic lights from what I have seen.

8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I think I'll order the 3000 board as I can get it about $25 cheaper.

As for the OS, my experience is that my Dell-branded Windows XP installation disk will install on any Dell that came originally with Windows XP. It seems this XP install disk looks for a Dell BIOS and then goes ahead and loads without prompting for a Product key or activation.

I would say more; but, last time I did, they removed my post and closed the thread.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    OOOOPS! I guess I should have looked at it when the computer was turned on. THe lights are on the back panel, hidden under the VGA connector. Just saw them. THis is the wifes computerso the only thing I get to do to it normally is dust it out. She won't even knowingly let me do a system image. (I do anyway while she is either sleeping or at work.)

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    My Dimension B110 is actually newer than the 3000, It did not come with a Restoration Disc. However it did come with a drivers disc and a Disc for the Monitor Driver. Both of these were purchased new directly from Dell.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!