Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will drivers from vista be compatible in Xp?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  pubtech 
#1 ·
Hi, I've been reading some answers for my question, but i still havent find the right one.
Basically, Im runing windows vista and I want to format and install XP. Many people say "backup the drivers or download the drivers from your computers manufacture" but my question is: Are those drivers gonna be compatible with XP? Can I be sure that the motherboard will accept working with XP (its a new computer and it cames with Vista installed)
I really appreciate if you can answer my question.

Thanks.

Paul

#2 ·
NO, you need to get the drivers for each device from the OEM.
You may find out that you will NOT find drivers for all of your devices, because the OEM will not support the older XP OS with drivers for new hardware.

I think you are being told to get these drivers "Before" you try and install XP as you will not be able to return to Vista with out the Cd's from the OEM of the machine.

#3 ·
First of all thanks DaveA for your answer. And second, according to what you said, some hardware will not work if I install XP in an ex Vista OS?
Is there any solution for that?
By the way, the drivers I want to get are the drivers from the modem/graphic/sound system etc (to make them work with XP)
Thanks again

#4 ·
You will need to get them from the OEM of the computer OR each device OEM.

What is the make and model of this Vista machine, and we can go from there?

#5 ·
Don't have the computer with me, since it's not mine, but from a friend of mine Im afraid :(
Dave, when I download the drivers will I need to download them for XP? Can I be sure the motherboard (which is currently running Vista) will accept the drivers once the pc is formated?

#6 ·
The mother board has nothing to do with it except for those devices that are built into it. When you find out the make and model of this machine, then go to the OEM site and all of the drivers should be listed. IF they have XP drivers for this hardware, then there should be list there also.

Do nothing else until you find out the make and model, post it here and we will happy to continue to help you out. Also being Vista Laptop, some of them are 64 bit motherboards and some have 32 bit Vista installed on them. If it is a 32 bit OS, then that will help a lot also.

#7 ·
Hi again.
Today I formatted the laptop, but at the end I left Vista, since it was impossible to format the pc with the XP Cd Installation, I try to do it with the Vista Cd but it didnt alow me to install another OS. I followed the steps, I did a clean installation, but it never asked me if i wanted to install something different. Am I missing something? Please if you want to help me with these first steps of installation I will be more than happy. Better if you can explain it to me step by step :)
Dave, after I installed everything I try to install Ethernet, but I never found the drivers, I've got the Cd of drivers that came with the laptop, but as I said, I didnt find that driver. You said that I have to look for the OEM, but in this case, how do I find all those details. I also went to the laptop's manufacturer but I couldnt go any further.
The model of the laptop is Dell Studio 1745, running windows vista home basic 32 bits.
Thanks in advance for all your help and your time.

Paul

#8 ·
Go to http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh and enter the "Service tag number" and then you should be able to find things.

If you were to post this service tag number, the we can also search with you for additional help. This tag number will not revel any personal information.

Being a newer machine, one may not have any XP support for this hardware. I can only find Windows 7 data no Vista or XP data and this hardware.

Just located a driver page for the 1745 and there are NO XP drivers or support for it.
See http://support.dell.com/support/dow...stemID=STUDIO1745&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.