1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will DSL Modem work in any phone connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TechGal54, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechGal54

TechGal54 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. All worked fine.

My customer wants to move her computer into another room. She is using DSL. Does anyone know if the DSL modem will work in any phone connection in her home or must it use the connection the phone company provided. She does not have wireless. The "phone" company would not talk to me since it's not my account.

Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will work on any phone on the same line. But you want to be sure that it is a filtered line to prevent interference from DSL on voice. If set up decently, all jacks in the house should already be filtered.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

My DSL works the other way around. I can plug the DSL MODEM directly into any phone jack; however, I have to plug a filter in between the jack and any landline telephone in order to have the landline telephone work.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, yes. In my unclear way, I was not trying to imply that the jack would not work for DSL in any case, but just that it would need to be filtered from the phone lines in the house, as you point out.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Probably the clearest way to state it is that ALL phone instruments MUST have filters EXCEPT the DSL modem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice