1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will dual video cards give me two independently controlled monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Ok--here's the deal. I have an NVidia GT 6600 video card with dual monitor output. The problem is that I want my Plasma desktop to be bigger icons (i.e., 800 by 600) while keeping my flat panel monitor (the primary monitor for the computer) as a higher resolution since obviously we are sitting farther away from the Plasma and need those icons and text bigger. Now I can independently change the screen sizes with the Nvidia, but the problem is then on the plasma I only see about 60% of the screen of course because its keeping the same setup as the higher resolution but zooming in on it. In other words, for the desktop to fit in the plasma, it has to be the same resolution as the flat panel or at least close to that same resolution.

My MOBO has a slot for a second video card--will a second card allow me to indepndently set the resolutions so that I can actually re-arrange the desktop on the Plasma (i.e., the icons would have to go further horizontally and shorter vertically with the lower resolution.

2. Rockn

Rockn

If your card is indeed a dual-head video card you should be able to control the resolution independantly in your driver settings. Just click on the monitor and set the resolution.

Attached Files:

3. Mulderator

I realize I can change resolutions independenty, but then I get what you see below. The desktop doesn't change on the Plasma--only the resolution becuase the desktop in being controlled by the primary monitor which is set at 1024 x 768. What is happening is the Plasma is displaying the desktop at 1024 x 768 but at a 800 x 600 resolution so you are only seeing part of the desktop (1st photo is 1024 x 768 and second is 800 x 600 on the Plasma, but of course the main monitor remains at 1024 x 768 and controls the size of the desktop).

Attached Files:

4. Mulderator

Notice at 800 x 600 the task bar isn't even viewed--its scrolled below the screen. What I need is a different desktop for the Plasma and that's what I'm wondering--with a second video card, can that display the desktop at 800 x 600 on the Plasma (i.e., with the entire desktop displayed) while the flat panel displays is at a higher resolution, but with the desktop the way it should look at that resolution?

5. Mulderator

BTW--I have the Nvidia set to "Clone" because any other choice spans the desktop across two monitors and I don't want that--I want two independently resoluted (and independently changed desktops) on the two monitors.

6. GripS

GripS

WOW. I bet those panels were spendy. One can only wish to have the kind of money to buy those.

Anyway. I don't believe running 2 different desktops will be an option. I ran in to the same type of issue when i attemtped a dual monitor setup. I could only either have cloned displays or span it accross the 2.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, having the two monitors at different resolutions is a giant PITA IMO. I finally decided to bite the bullet and just get another 19" LCD panel and run both at 1280x1024, I love the functionality now. FWIW, you can put different wallpaper on the two disktops. I have a Nvidia FX5700LE on this machine.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/406322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice