1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will installing game in seperate partition help ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by toddsyr, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

Hey folks. Running Win 98 SE on an antique. Maxed at 256 mb ram, Celeron 466 chip, partitioned 120 gb hard drive, XFX 32 mb TNT2 M64 video card. ( Only card I could recently find compatible with my setup)

Anyhow, I've had the game Railroad Tycoon 2 Gold Edition for a few years now, and play it alot. Some of the scenarios I've downloaded and added to it can take all day to accomplish. Thing is, when I get up to about 90 to 100 trains running, the game will pause for a bit on it's own, then resume. The more it happens, the longer the pause. Finally, the game shuts off, and I'm staring at the desktop. I'm wondering if installing the game into an otherwise empty partition will alleviate some of this. Sort of like not having many other things running at the same time, as in drive C. When I do run the game in drive C, I first disable all other programs, but wonder how much stuff is still using resources. Anybody cares to fill me in, I appreciate it. Thanks, Todd.

2. Mithrial

Mithrial

I'm old enough to remember Windows 98 <G> From your description I don't think installing your game into a seperate partition will help. Since you only have one physical drive you will still suffer lags while the OS or other apps claim drive resources. Your procedure of closing other apps is good. I'm guessing you also run frequent drive defragmentation and that you disable your screen saver too. That's about all I can offer. I hope it helps.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Agreed. Maybe installing the game on the separate drive could help. Also make sure that your virtual memory is not on the same drive as the system files... actually i would recommend creating a 4gb partition for the virtual memory, that way it won't be hampering your system.

4. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

Thanks for the input folks. Mithrial confirms what I suspected. Worth a shot though. Yes I defrag alot, somtimes twice a day. It only takes a few minutes when you do it alot. Actually, I do it two different ways when I do a defrag. First with virtual memory disabled ( so the files seperated by VM chunks are reunited ), then once again with virtual memory enabled. I do not run screen savers either. I really see no use for them. Not using the PC ? Turn it off. This seems to work well for me, my Viewsonic 20G monitor is about 10 years old, still works flawlesslly. I bought it used for $75.00. Not bad for a 20 inch monitor. Tidus4Yuna, thanks for your input also. I have a 31 gig unused partition on my PC. As a matter of fact, I have 3 31 gig partitions besides drive C, 2 of which I may never have a need for. I could use one of these to install my virtual memory on. I have no idea how to put my VM into one of these drives though. It sounds like something I should try though. Wanna educate me on this ? Would really appreciate it. Thanks again for the input folks, Todd.

5. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

For all others reading this thread: Through a private message, I'm told virtual memory can be installed to a seperate physical drive, but not on just a seperate partition.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    drive, partition, volume, same thing. It would depend on where's drive (x) is. For example, i have 6 *drives*. 5 of those are on one physical disc. Now i would recommend installing it on a different physical drive, that way the drive with the system files won't be used that much and the system won't be fighting for the use of the drive.

Virtual Memory is free hard drive space that is used by the system in an event of the physical RAM has being used up. Now it's been some time since I used Win 98, but I'm pretty sure that it's in Control Panel > System > Advanced tab. From there it should be Virtual Memory or Virtual Peformance and then you should be able to change where the VM is located. Like I said the maximum a machine needs is about 4Gb (inc. physical memory) so for you, you need to have the VM (also known as page file) set for 4Gb minus what amount you have physically (256Mb) which will be about 3.7Gb. (I would do 4Gb :))

Like I said I don't know if it will help you with the slowness but it's worth a shot.

7. Topato

Topato

If you install the game on a diffrent partion on the same physical drive, It wont make any performance diffrence. If you install the game on a diffrent physical drive then you would probably have some kind of performance increase.

8. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

Thanks Tidus4Yuna and Topato. I guess Topato settled the original question for me. As for Tidus4Yuna's statement: "Now it's been some time since I used Win 98, but I'm pretty sure that it's in Control Panel > System > Advanced tab. From there it should be Virtual Memory or Virtual Peformance and then you should be able to change where the VM is located. Like I said the maximum a machine needs is about 4Gb (inc. physical memory) so for you, you need to have the VM (also known as page file) set for 4Gb minus what amount you have physically (256Mb) which will be about 3.7Gb. (I would do 4Gb )," When you go to START, SETTINGS , CONTORL PANEL, SYSTEM, PERFORMANCE, VIRTUAL MEMORY, in Win 98 SE, you have 2 choices listed. 1. Let Windows manage Virtual Memory, or 2. Let me specify my own Virtual Memory settings. Under the second option, you may set the minimum and maximum amounts of hard disk space to use, but not where to put it. I can't find that feature anywhere, on where to put it. I have mine set to minimum 256, no maximum. If your saying I should change the maximum to 4 GB, I should type in 4000, as I believe this is measured in megabytes. I do not have another seperate physical drive, just so you know. Just the one 120 gb hard drive, chopped up into 4 partitions.Drives C, D, E, & F. I just want to make sure all is clear here. If I should change my VM settings, please advise. Who knows? Maybe I shouldn't have the maximum set at none? Thanks to all for the help on this. Always appreciated, Todd.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Maybe I shouldn't have the maximum set at none?

lol, you need to have something so the machine won't slow down. Maximum you need is 4Gb, so you would need to set it about 4096Mb

Maybe it's a Windows 2000 / XP thing, to change the location of the the page file. I don't remember Wind 98 that much anymore

10. Mithrial

Mithrial

If you have a full install of Windows 98 you have a tool called System Monitor (sysmon). Since my last posting I went back to some of my old iron and installed Windows 98 SE. (Yes, sad, but I really do have old junk cluttering up my spare bedroom.) Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Monitor launches the program.
    From Sysmon's menu bar choose Edit and remove CPU since it isn't in question for your issue.
    Then choose Edit and add in these choices from Memory Manager ... Allocated memory, Swapfile in use, Swapfile size.
    Next click on the File menu and choose Start logging. You will get a chance to name the file or take the default of sysmon. (.log will be the extension) Every 5 seconds this log will update.
    Run your game as normal and upon exit return to Sysmon and stop logging. The sysmon.log file is comma delimited, making it easy to open with Excel. Now you will be able to see what limits (if any) are being hit.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

11. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

Thankyou very much, Mithrial. Sorry about the late thanks, but I didn't know there was new info here. However, I don't have Excel, sorry.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice