1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will it be worth the wait??

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vicrattlehead, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicrattlehead

vicrattlehead Thread Starter

well i have been asking afew tech buddies and others about what they have read/tested on vista it seems i get the same responce the actual release seems to keep getting pushed further and further back and no one has anything really good to say about it. seems they have been working on it for awhile and there are still many "bugs" to be worked out. i was just wondering what people on here think about it and if they are planing to actually use it or stick to there existing os. if it was up to me i would go back to using linux but my girlfreind would be lost using it. so i guess i will stick with xp pro sp2 till i get some possitive feedback about vista.

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I have been trying Vista for some time now. At present I am using release 5472 as my main OS, but still have XP as a backup. I do this in order to provide, where possible, help for other testers and, hopefully, feedback to MS. This version is stable with all my software and hardware. I have had no bsod's and the only errors have been due to my own fumbling when trying out functions. I am told, via MS pages and from "experts", that this OS has many kernel improvements and increased security. I am only a user, not a programmer or anything more sophisticated. It runs at about the same speed as XP and I am certain that, as it is a microsoft product, the hackers will tear it apart, however tight the new security. Bearing in mind that MS themselves have stated that this is pretty much how the final version will look, after they have ironed out the remaining bugs and complaints, I can see no reason why a homem user, or possibly even a corporate user, would wish to waste money on it. If you look at other sites similar to this one, or do a search for info on Vista, you will find that 80% of the comments are concerning the magnificent "Eye candy" . So?? Have a look at this page for a real bottom of the barrel critique.
    http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/22/vista-microsoft-ballmer_cz_dl_0322microsoft.html

3. TechB

TechB

I expect it will go much like previous releases of Windows. Tinkerers and techies will be early adopters upgrading all their computers immediately on release. Many of them will experience issues with buggy drivers, steep learning curve etc., pronounce the new OS as garbage and retreat to XP. Most people will happily keep using whatever they have now. When they buy a new computer with Vista on it they will initially be frustrated because it is different but eventually they will discover it's many new features and wonder how they ever got by with XP. As enough new computers are sold with Vista, programmers will start writing programs that take advantage of it. At this point many people will upgrade to Vista and things will snowball to where it is the most common OS. This is the way most versions of Windows have progressed. If Vista turns out to be as secure as Microsoft says the cycle may speed up a bit. Personally I love what I've seen so far and will probably upgrade my computers that are capable of running it when it comes out. I fit into the techie, early adopter role :)

4. rmonroe36

rmonroe36

After having "played" with Vista Beta2, the "eye candy" analysis holds true. I find nothing in Vista that compels me to switch and that includes security, which I have had no issues worth mentioning. It will be interesting to find what the cost of a Vista version will be that is on a par with XP Pro. Linux with Open-Source software is looking better and better! More so than ever, there are real alternatives to Microsoft.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice