Will it Fit? [Compatibility Question]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rydash

I am an advanced computer user as far as the lingo and mechanics of computing goes, but for building a higher-end machine, I'm a bit lost. Here's my parts list:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
[FONT=&quot]Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Power Supply Unit:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]RAM: Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Graphics Card[/FONT]: [FONT=&quot]XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive - OEM[/FONT]

Now, I'm unsure if these parts will work together, or if there's enough wattage in the power supply, or if I'll be able to support all the components through power, or if it'll run cool enough, or even if the parts will fit inside the case. Any help to those questions or even suggestions to changes in the list would be beneficial to me. Thank you, and I appreciate the help, truly.

(And yes, I was using NewEgg.)

Phenom II 955, good.
Antec 900, good.
Asus board, meh, fine, I wouldn't get it, but it's your choice. Gigabyte equivalent would be my choice :]
Corsair 750TX, good
RAM: May be compatible, but will work worse than a 2x2 GB kit(won't work in dual, or triple channel either). DDR3 RAM for non-i7 boards is VERY hard to confirm compatible. 790X-UD4P + DDR2 RAM would be much easier, and about 5% slower in performance at best, when using very memory intensive programs.
Caviar Black, all good.
Graphics, wait. Use the onboard of the 790GX boards, or get a 4350 as a temporary card, 5870 should be out and at reasonable prices soon. Has DX11, lower power consumption... etc.

rydash

Thanks for your prompt reply, sorry I went away so that I didn't see it as quickly. I have a few clarification questions, however; Would it make sense to get 2 sets of 2x2GB RAM? I'm a tad unsure what your alternative is stating...

And, is there any specific Gigabyte board you can recommend? Or should I really be brighter than this? :p

No, you shouldn't be brighter, I should have more time to make a better structured post :)
RAM, depends a lot. If you're going for Windows 7, not Vista (well, Vista for now, upgrade to 7 with the coupon when it's released), more than 4 GB doesn't really mean anything. Vista eats 4 GB for breakfast and still is slow, Win7 runs pretty much anything short of a dozen of virtual machines with 4 GB of RAM well. If you know you'll do a lot of memory-intensive multitasking, then yes, 8 GB wouldn't probably be a bad choice.

As I said, DDR3 RAM still isn't on pretty much any memory support list for AMD boards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387 + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166 could be a good pair. Phenom IIs don't really benefit from the extra memory bandwidth anything over DDR2 1066 offers. Even at 800 speeds it's not a real bottleneck: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
If you're ready to wait for the Radeon 5870, this board could be nicer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128384 onboard graphics for that time. Still, something like 4670 that actually can run games at decent settings wouldn't be a bad choice, it's still a while.

rydash

Thanks, this really gives me something to go on. I do see a discrepancy, maybe, however, about the proposed combo items. The board states the Memory Standard is DDR2 1333 OC. The RAM itself seems to state DDR2 1066. Will the RAM not work? Or am I just worrying over nothing again?

The 1333 is the max speed it supports, it supports, I think, memory from between 533 or 667 and 1333. Not all, the frequency and other specs aren't all that matters, but the 1066 kit I linked has been tested compatible numerous times.

rydash

Okay, thank you, truly. You've been a wonderful help. Now, to switch topics a teensy bit, assuming I wait for the high end Radeon cards, and assuming that parts won't break, what kind of life do you think this machine will have? I know how Moore's Law wants to function against this, but I may as well pose the question.

Hard drive is the most prone to break of these, can fail within a pretty short time but usually 3-5 years at least, others should easily last 5-8 years at an average, even more if you're a bit lucky.

rydash

Sorry, once more, to revive this topic, but I have one new concern. Apparently the current NVidia equivalent to what I have provided is the
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Now, what I want to know about this is whether it'd be good for the time being. Yes, I know the new ATI line is supposed to come out soon, but I'm forgoing that. Anyway, this comes with Arkham Asylum, and would actually be cheaper than my proposed card with a rebate. It also supports PhysX. The trade off is it has a slightly slower core clock.

Is this a good idea or not?

EDIT: It also says that I'd need two free 6-pin Molex hard drive power dongles on my PSU to use this. What are these dongles, and can the proposed PSU support this card?

Sorry I sound so needy. I'm just a neophyte at the building of the machines.

EDIT 2: The pictures seems to indicate a few 4-pin molex connectors. Um...will this work, or should I do a new search for a PSU?

It's not a molex. I have no idea where you even could've read 6-pin molex. It's a 6-pin PCI-E power connector. Corsair 750TX has 2 of them, if not 4, can't remember off the top of my head.

I have the GTX260, and I regret having it at the moment. Even Radeon 4870 1 GB often performs better than it, doesn't have PhysX, but about three games worth playing have PhysX, one of them actually has something of noticeable in differences between non- and PhysX.
BTW, 4890 equivalent would be GTX275.

Wait if you're smart, if you don't want to be smart and miss out top detail gaming, get 4890 or 4870 1 GB.

rydash

I know it's been a while and that this topic should be as good as dead, but here goes. I've decided to change my decision on graphics card to the following:
SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

I know that it's too early to tell if this manufacturer's card will be somehow better than others; I'd like to know if this is a mis-step or if I'm going the right direction, despite the current lack of information on my end.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online