Will Leopard run on a G4 Powerbook?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DammitJanet

I'm getting a G4 Powerbook used from a friend, and I want to know if I'll be able to run Leopard on it when the time comes.

The specs are Powerbook G4 17" - 1.67ghz /1GB RAM /100GB HDD /(SuperDrive)

It should run it, although you may see quite a slowdown from 10.4.

There are only speculations right now, but I think it is safe to say that you will need at least a 32 MB video card and a G4 as a bare minimum requirement. But who knows, they could bump everything below a G5 from support, thats up to them.

You should be safe with your G4, but nothing official.

DammitJanet

Great, thanks.

I'll inquire as to what kind of video card it has, and I'm planning on adding another gig of ram.

You should have no problem running 10.5.
Unlike Vista, Apple tries to support as much hardware as possible. Anyway:
For those who are worried about the requirements of the said OS, don't fret, the readme on the beta copies handed out clarified everything (it's definitely no Vista in terms of memory requirements).

System Requirements:
an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor
a DVD drive
built-in FireWire
at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer (so basically anything will do)
at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools
That said, it looks like the Mac OS X Leopard is primed and ready to hit the ground running.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online