1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will more and faster memory make my laptop faster?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKTaber, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Have a Toshiba A665-S6095 laptop running 64-bit Win 7. It has a paltry Windows Experience Index of 4.6, which is the Graphics score (all the others average 5.6). I assume the integrated video shares memory with the computer's RAM, which is only 2 x 2GB (total of 4GB) DDR3-532 CL=7. For about $40 I can replace the DIMMs with 2 x 4GB (total of 8GB) DDR3-1333 CL=9.

Is that likely to make the computer perceptibly faster or a waste of $$?

2. Beafle

Beafle

yeah It usually makes a noticeable difference but first i would look at how much memory you are using by running the sidebar gadget in the background. If you are often reaching into the heigh ends of the meter then yeah i would say it is deferentially worth doing altho 4gb should be more thank enough to run normal applications on windows without slowing down.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

What "sidebar gadget"? The Performance Monitor (which measures CPU usage, not memory usage)?

4. Beafle

Beafle

Yeah it measure memory as well. It has two dials, one for CPU one for memory.

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

OK, you're talking about the Performance Tab on the Task Manager. Most of the time, it shows between 1.16 and 1.35GB of memory being used. I.e., not all that much. However, it's 532MB memory. Wouldn't switching it out for 1333MB memory make things move noticeably faster.

6. Beafle

Beafle

Yeah it would that is true But there is deferentially a sidebar gadget that sits on your desktop telling you how much CPU and ram you are using. Looks a but like a car speedo or something as I'm looking at it right now

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice