1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will my fans or anything power up without a CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Decl1ned, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Decl1ned

Decl1ned Thread Starter

I recently got computer parts for my first build, I plugged everything in as directed but my CPU won't arrive for a few days.

I tested my PSU using the paperclip test and everything booted up fine in terms of my fans and whatnot, but now that it's plugged into my motherboard the fans won't power up at all, is this because I have no CPU yet or is my MOBO DOA?

I want to know now because I've been looking forward to this forever and if my motherboards DOA I'd rather know before my CPU comes Tuesday because then I'll have to contact them that day and wait even LONGER to play my new computer any help is greatly appreciated as I've been googling this for hours now and I'm beyond frustrated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pretty sure you need a CPU for most motherboards to even power on.

But realistically you can't do anything, determine anything, or request a DOA if you do not have the CPU to properly assemble and test the system.

3. Decl1ned

Decl1ned Thread Starter

So I shouldn't be worried if I try and turn it on nothing happens without the cpu? I mean literally nothing no signs of power.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd wait until you have all the necessary components for a successful Post before jumping to conclusions.

5. Decl1ned

Decl1ned Thread Starter

Alright I'm just a bit worried I guess, was more or less looking for the probability I was going to have to wait another month to start playing my PC, I'll post what happens on Tuesday thanks for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice