1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will my PSU be enough? Pre-upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sweeble, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweeble

sweeble Thread Starter

Hey.
    I'm just wondering if I can get an informed reply to this question before I go ahead and purchase a new motherboard, CPU & memory.

I'm currently using a X-Power GTX 480w PSU. It's about a year old just over. Very quiet and has never let me down.
    Link here:
    http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/psu_xpower_light-480-580-680.htm

My current setup is as follows:

AMD Phenom X3 8750 @ 2.4Ghz [stock heatsink & fan]
    1 x 2GB VData memory @ 667Mhz [stock]
    XFX 9800GT Green Edition 512MB [No external power needed from PSU and not OC'd]
    Biostar MCP6P-M2+ Motherboard
    2 x 120mm LED Fans
    1TB Samsung SpinPoint HD
    LG LightScribe DVD drive

I'm in the process of putting my new rig together and was going to get it this coming weekend. But I'm concerned about my PSU and whether or not it will be enough to power what I want.

This is what I was intending on getting:

AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2Ghz [stock speeds and won't be overclocking]
    MSI 870-C45 AMD 770 Socket AM3 GB LAN 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered

I see no reason to upgrade my 9800GT just yet so that will remain. As will the 1TB SpinPoint and DVD drive.

I'm just wondering if my X-Power GTX 480w PSU will be enough to handle that setup.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It meets the min requirements however when you make something work at or near its max rating, it will not last long. Just think about it for a minute or two; how long would the engine in your car last if you ran it at or near full throttle all of the time???

Bottom line, I would be looking at a quality unit in the 600W range. Something like this corsair unit

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I would tend to agree with crj.

As a reference point, I use this website here to get an idea of power consumption requirements. It is not the be all and end all but gives you an idea of the wattage PSU you will need.

With the numbers it gives you, always look at a good quality PSU for around that area, never buy cheap. I tend to get a wattage calculation from there then buy a PSU that would be working at around 80% of its load at the wattage they gave me.

So, if the site suggests a 450w PSU I will normally buy 550-600w PSU as this means I shouldn't be stressing it even under load and also gives a little room for expansion / upgrade.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice