1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will my PSU handle a radeon HD4870? Or any of the new breed of power hungry GPUs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwiley, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwiley

jwiley Thread Starter

The sticker says 700W which sounds quite muscular but i can't find a brand name. It has a logo that says ADJ and the model number is CG-ADJ-8

I keep hearing about the importance of 12V rails when analysing how good a PSU really is and what it can handle. Might as well be greek to me so I've written the sticker specs below:

Here is what is written on the PSU:

+3.3V(20A) +5V(30A) +12V1(12A) +12V2(14A)
    (130W max)

-5V(0.5A) -12V(0.8A) +5VSB(2A)
    (9.6W max) (10W max)

I would very much appreciate any help you can give. I have my heart set on a 1gig radeon hd4870 (with extra cooling).

thanks a lot.

2. BG-0

BG-0

That PSU is not good for any even near to decent graphics card. A good quality 600-700 W PSU would be, but that will power only Radeon 4670 at max. Here's a few good PSUs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

FWIW, I would advise to get a GTX260 instead. I have always used ati cards with no problems, but today, when they age, they get overrun in bang/buck by nvidias.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143174 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150330

3. jwiley

jwiley Thread Starter

4. jwiley

jwiley Thread Starter

5. Compiler

Compiler

130watt? Is your PC case standard are a slim-line?

A 500~550watt PSU will handle a single 4870. A 4870x2 card requires a 650+ watt PSU.

6. BG-0

BG-0

The 500 W OCZ SXS is a bit bluffed in wattage. It only has dual 18A rails, so I wouldn't trust it to power the 4870.

7. Compiler

Compiler

2~4 rail PSUs are still within spec.

Depending on the camp, those PSUs with a single large 12volt rail is actually not spec.
    Most PSUs use multi 12volt rails.

On newegg out of 500+ PSUs. For PSUs over 400watts, only 80 are single rail. dual rails have 228 choices, 120 = 4 rails. Many 800~2000 watt PSUs have 6 rails.

8. jwiley

jwiley Thread Starter

so is my PSU lying to me when it says 700W?

It has 700w written above the sticker specs.

so am i gonna have to upgrade it because it's lying or what?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From the specs you posted, that appears to be a very low quality pw supply. If you are going to install a high end video card, then you need to buy a quality psu. Installing a 48xx type card with the psu you have now is just asking for a problem.

For a high end build, I usually recommend Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power&Cooling, or FSP. For a budget build, sparkle, or enlight works OK.

The wattage you need is dependent on what you have installed. If you have a power hungry cpu, 3~4 hard disks, extra fans, etc, etc you will need more power than a lower end cpu with a single hard drive. In order to recommend a pw supply, you need to post the exact specs of your system.

10. jwiley

jwiley Thread Starter

dual-core athlon x2 6400
    asus m2n sli deluxe
    4gb ram
    160gb HDD
    9500gt
    DVD RW

i don't have any secondary drives, and i have one exhaust fan at the back of my Asus Vento A8 case.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Combining a 6400+ [which is a very power hungry cpu] with a 4850, I would like to see something like a 5~600W unit with a min of 35~40amp on the 12V rail. Going with less would be [IMO] risky.

12. Compiler

Compiler

Can you provide a photo of your PSU.

Your "brand" doesn't come up, I wouldn't trust what you have. Are you in the USA?
    How much was that PSU? I can't even google it... don't trust a product that doesn't have a website or a manufacture.
    A 700~750watt PSU is about $100~150. A year ago, they were closer to $150~200.

BTW: BFG and sigma are supposed to be decent mid-range PSUs ($50~60 for 500~550watt).

13. jwiley

jwiley Thread Starter

Hi, thanks everyone for providing your input. I'm now much wiser on PSUs.

Compiler, I live in Rome and I recently had some new parts installed by an Italian guy in a PC shop here. I am frankly not surprised that I have ended up with a crappy PSU as I believe the dude I dealt with was scamming me. There are a few other things not quite right with my PC since I got it back from the shop.

Eg when i took it to him it had brand new Corsair Ram DDR2 800 MHz (2x2GB modules) which he said were "bad" and he replaced them with 667MHz budget-looking Ram modules which have some kind of sticker on them which says something like "saver special". Also the DVD drive is a bit stickier than it was...

So, I have accepted the fact and bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=Corsair%20650W

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-008-CS&groupid=701&catid=701&subcat=

At least it's a recognised brand name, and should actually do what it says on the tin right?

As for the current brand of my PSU I guess all I can do is what the Romans do: which is to shrug my shoulders and say "Boh!" You have to really hear it in order to understand but it's a way of saying "I haven't a Scooby Doo [clue]".

Now, to scrounge up enough money to buy an HD 4870, then after that onto better Ram, then a replacement motherboard for when mine dies...the upgrade list is freakin' endless...

14. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, sounds like you've been ripped off. Thats when you ask "okay, let me have my old modules" - only time I take RAM from a customer is from a retired / dead computer and I try to give them away to be used if a person needs it. Like I sold a 512mb DDR1 module for $5 as it was good quality. :)

Thats an excellent PSU. Pesonal experince.

Upgrades never end.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice