Will my SSD with OS on it run on a rental naked machine?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Diano

This was posted but can't find it, so post again.

I am a photographer. I lost important photographic files last year in New Guinea due to using hotel's computer.
Another photographic tour is year & I'll be shooting again in New Guinea.

I'll take the SSD which has OS & all the apps I always use out of my PC and put is into a rental naked machine in Post Moresby.
My question : Will the OS run or will Windows on my SSD boot & run normally on such a naked machine for 50 days?

Thanks.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
One cannot run the OS on a drive that was removed from on machine and then installed on a different machine.

That said, if both machines at are the same with nothing different then it may work, but not likely!

Diano

One cannot run the OS on a drive that was removed from on machine and then installed on a different machine.

That said, if both machines at are the same with nothing different then it may work, but not likely!
Thank you.

My neighbour replaced his motherboard five months ago. The replacement board is of a different make. And he put his original SSD on the replacement board. His PC has been running normally since.

The situation is almost the same as taking the SSD out of my now-in-use PC & put it to use on a rental machine which has no OS installed but with all the necessary components such as CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.

I cannot find a rental machine same as the one used at home. But can find one which has the same capability to read the same type of SSD as my own PC.

Is it really true in practice that OS cannot be run on a different machine than its original???

It all depends on your luck with drivers. 50/50 chance that it will boot then join internet and upgrade drivers.
Otherwise it will BSOD.
If I was doing this I would by a caddy for ssd (if you have a spare ssd) I would load windows to go and then load the programs I need. You then just need to find a computer that can boot from USB.
Plug in SSD and either change bios to boot from ssd OR now days a lot of motherboards will give you the option on boot to pick the boot drive by pressing a key e.g Press F12 for boot. Then choose usb drive.

If no spare ssd then buy a portable ssd

Is it really true in practice that OS cannot be run on a different machine than its original??
Also with windows 10 the license is stored on MS Servers and a major change like you want to do
by putting the ssd in a "new" computer will most likely trigger a Not activated message

Thank you.

My neighbour replaced his motherboard five months ago. The replacement board is of a different make. And he put his original SSD on the replacement board. His PC has been running normally since.

The situation is almost the same as taking the SSD out of my now-in-use PC & put it to use on a rental machine which has no OS installed but with all the necessary components such as CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.

I cannot find a rental machine same as the one used at home. But can find one which has the same capability to read the same type of SSD as my own PC.

Is it really true in practice that OS cannot be run on a different machine than its original???
no way an installed os from another completely different motherboard would work without the installation of new drivers.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think the best thing to do is to get yourself a GOOD laptop and/or a 4TB external drive or larger.

The External drive can be plugged into any computer and the photos' saved to it. When returned to homebase, they in turn can be copied to your main machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online