1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will not boot up no beeps no video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by texman, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texman

texman Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have a packard bell 820 it was working fine then the screen went to locating master and primary. then locked up. I turned it off then back on after 30 seconds and nothing no beeps no video the hd sounded like it was spinning for maybe 2 or 3 seconds
    the fan on the power supply is working. I have unpluged every thing and still no beep I replaced the battery and no difference.
    Any ideas? power supply or cpu? how can i test. it wont post so i cant even get it to boot from floppy or cd.
    Thank you in advance
    chris

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This could be either the MB or the P/S, the only way to be sure at this point is to substitute one or the other... If you have a meter, you could check all the P/S voltages to see if they're proper.

3. texman

texman Thread Starter

processor fan , should this fan come on when the computer is started?

4. torgo

torgo

yes the cpu fan should come on. depending on your mb it could be the cpu fan failing, the power supply, or the mb, could even be cpu.

try:

-hook up a cpu fan if you have an extra

-take out all cards and memory and start machine does it beep?

if not then possible bad mb if it has power.

5. texman

texman Thread Starter

will a computer not boot up if the cpu fan is bad ? should it boot up if i have the fan diconected?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Oh NO...you don't want to disconnect the fan! Unless you want to fry the cpu.........and if the fan isn't working, you want to STOP trying to start the computer!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice