1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

will not restart from dos screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by indigowindow, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indigowindow

indigowindow Thread Starter

whenever i go into ms-dos the computer won't restart in windows. i type in "exit" when i finish, the screen says "windows is now restarting..." and that's as far as it gets. i press control-alt-delete and it wants to restart in safe mode. i have no idea what i'm supposed to adjust here, so i just restart again in regular mode. any ideas?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I was looking at your old startup log. You might try putting a rem plus a space in front of the sblive DOS drivers in Dostart.bat

And did you ever delete the Winstart.bat file with that backdoor trojan file being run from there?

========

-=================-
    WINSTART.BAT File - (c:\windows\winstart.bat)
    -=================-

@echo off copy C:\WINDOWS\Wings32.reg C:\WINDOWS\StartM~1\Programs\StartUp\Mdm.exe
    cls

-=================-
    DOSSTART.BAT File - (c:\windows\dosstart.bat)
    -=================-

C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

LH C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

3. indigowindow

rog - i have reformatted and reinstalled since that last incident. winstartbat is not there. my dosstart bat: C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

what exactly does this do when i put the rem in front. it keeps it from loading? what does this mean? why should i do this now, when i could restart windows from dos before with that entry there?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you make the line;

Rem C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

it keeps it from executing. That is known as "remarking"; it is used in programming to add explanatory remarks to code which are ignored in processing. A semicolon does the same thing in win.ini and system.ini

I don't know whether the DOS drivers are causing a problem, just that they might. It could be happening because IRQ's have changed since the format. Sblive's DOS drivers have a history of causing problems. I'm not particularly familiar with the nuances of how to configure them to avoid issues, but most people don't even use them.

5. indigowindow

well, i've taken them out of config.sys completely by deleting the himem and 386 commands, so i might as well take them out of dosstart.bat. i've never had windows not restart from dos. so i was wondering what else might cause that. what do irq's have to do with windows restarting from dos?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Interrupt requests a control device's access to the processor. Doesn't matter where you start or restart from. No tickee, no laundry.

I don't know whether the issue addressed in this link is exclusive to certain motherboards, or indeed whether you have that problem. But I've seen the fix used to resolve a couple of sblive related restarting problems in the past.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=2

7. indigowindow

my board is a biostar M7VKD. my sb16 emulation driver doesn't load (blank config.sys - no himem); it's in irq 5. my brain is finding it hard to digest a soundcard effecting going from dos to windows.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you tried remming or deleting the line to see if it makes any difference? Obviously since you are not loading the rest of the configuration it has no value there.

9. indigowindow

rog - your suggestion did not solve the problem.

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What are you doing in DOS? Are you in Pure DOS or In MS-DOS mode? Are you there to load a game? If so, after you finish the game, go to the command prompt and type this:
    edit config.sys
    Does the line Dos=Single appear? What does it read?
    Do the same for autoexec.bat

If so, that could be it. Safe Mode doesn't load many things, including Config.sys and Autoexec.bat. much of the registry and
    Win.ini, load= and run= lines are not loaded. In System.ini, the [Boot] and [386Enh] sections are not loaded.
    That explains why you often can get into Safe Mode when Windows is not accessible.
    Something has changed and it's a mystery.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the problem is only occuring when you are restarting in MS-DOS mode, it is because you are using the DOSStart.bat file. About the only thing this does is give you mouse support. You can try remming that line as well. You can also try renaming the file to DOSStart.old. It will be bypassed and you will be in DOS much as if you started to a command prompt from the startup menu.

You can also try method 2 here, which amounts to much the same thing:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q232657

By the way, when you reformatted, did you reinstall the VIA 4in1 drivers for your VIA chipset? This could be a busmastering or IDE issue after all.

12. indigowindow

the entries in autoexec.bat: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
    SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
    C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

the 1 entry in dosstart.bat has been REM'd. there's nothing in config.sys. the via 4 in 1 drivers are installed. i go to dos by restarting the computer in dos mode(is that pure dos? if not, then i don't know the difference between ms-dos and pure dos. i know opening the dos window, and restarting in dos.). i go there to fix the registry or to delete files. i don't load games there.

the link to the m$ article is not my situation. i can get into ms-dos. i just can't get out. after i type "exit" at the prompt, the computer hangs at "windows is now restarting...."

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you tried doing a ctrl-alt-del to re enter Windows? This may work better for you.

14. indigowindow

that's what i have to do. and then it always wants to go into safe mode. since i have nothing to do there that i can figure out, i force it into regular mode. and we're back at square 1.

:p

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are doing the ctrl-alt-del after entering "exit" and getting hung? If not, try it first.

This is not exactly "true" DOS in that it is a kind of shell program configured by both the DOSStart.bat and exit to DOS.pif files. It doesn't seem at this point that anything there would be causing the problem, but if I were troubleshooting, I would try renaming them as a test. Windows will recreate the exit to DOS file anyway. You can find it be doing a find for exitto

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice