1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will old AT power supply and case support new ATX mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neal, Feb 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neal

Neal Thread Starter

I have a new Aopen AX63pro motherboard (ATX form factor) being shipped from California and wonder if my old AT power supply and case will work with the new board. If I need a new supply, is 300 watts "better" than 235w or 200w? If I need a new case, any thoughts on what's the best value? Does an ATX power supply fit into some AT cases (if there is such a thing) or is a dedicated ATX case/power supply needed?

Thanks to anyone taking time to offer an opinion.

2. frenat

frenat

you will most likely need a new case and power supply. Some AT boards will take either a AT or ATX power supply but I have not seen an ATX board that will do both. There may be some exceptions but it is a good bet that you will need to buy some new equipment.

------------------
    Frenat

3. Macky

Macky

I have good news and bad news for you. Good news - If your board is ATX (AT keyboard) it will most likely support both ATX and AT. My old board did. bad news - if not your going to need a new case and power supply. My suggestion is if your going to get a new one get a 300W. It'll be better in the long run.

Cheers
    Macky
    --------------------------

4. Neal

Neal Thread Starter

Sounds like I will need a new power supply at least and probably a case too. My motherboard arrives Friday. Fortunately, a computer show on Saturday will take care of my problem. Thanks for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/32337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice