1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Will Partition Magic work this way?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by henthorn, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

I have my programs and data on an 80 gig with a ntfs file system. I have a second 20 gig hard drive with Fat32 files. I want to reformat the second drive and change it to ntfs files and then move all my programs and files to the second hard drive so that I can reformat the larger drive and start fresh with a fresh install of WinXP and my other programs. Then I plan to move all my data files to the freshly re-formated drive and clean the second drive for a back up drive. HOWEVER, I have Partition Magic 8.0 which says it can't be used with XP. Can I use the WinXP compatibility wizard to open Partition Magic and use it to make the changes noted above?

2. Moby

Moby

You do not seem to be creating any new partitions so why are you using Partition Magic?
    You can do all you want to do with windows alone in control panel, administrative tools, disk management.
    You say
    It is also pointless moving your installed programmes to the second drive as they will be intricately linked to windows via the registry and the windows system folders. Re-installing windows will wipe these links. You will need to re-install your programmes too after re-installing windows.
    You would obviously need to save any downloaded programme setup files along with your own data in order to re-install them.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    if its not compatible, its not compatible and you shouldn't use the Compatibility Mode.

If you want to make it NTFS then use the Convert command in XP.

ie. if the drive is drive D: and the drive name/label is DATA then type:

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

And when it asks for the drive name type DATA.

However if you want the installed programs to work after reformatting then you'll probably be out of luck, most programs will require to be reinstalled before they'll work properly.

4. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I mispoke about the programs. I intended to install a fresh Windows on the reformatted drive and also make fresh installs of the programs and then transfer the data. I don't see any way with disk management to do the things I need to do. The second drive is actually formatted into two drives right now which I need to merge and change over to ntfs. Disk managment doesn't give me that option that I can see.

One of the reasons for doing all this is that over time during various system restores, Windows has seen fit to change the drive labels with out rhyme nor reason. At the present time it has labeled my boot drive J and the secondary drive C. This confuses some downloads which are looking for the C drive and messes things up a bit.

However, I think I have learned that it is probably not best to use Magic Partition 8.0 for this task.

Again thanks.

5. gurutech

gurutech

Proper syntax for the convert app is:

CONVERT D: /FS:NTFS

where D: is the drive letter to convert. You can't convert the file system on a drive to the volume label.

6. Moby

Moby

In disk management you have the option to delete a partition, or both on your second disc. All data is lost obviously. Then you can reformat, as one partition to NTFS.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!